EA Wizzy 112 vs. Aguilar 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Dec 30, 2003.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How do these two compare?
    Which one would you choose over the other and why?
    BTW any info about the Wizzy 112 and it´s sound is welcomed!
  2. amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Well, I've never had the chance to play through the EA cabs.

However, myself and many other TBers own one or two GS112s, and you won't find many who don't love theirs!

Good luck,

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    tombowlus might be able to help you. He owns a Wizzy, and he may have played through an Aguilar 1x12.
  4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The Wizzy is not a bad cab for its size, but you'll get more performance from the Aggie's.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love the Aggie 1x12's. like fine smooth bourbon...
  6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    2 questions please:

1) Have you ever played a Wizzy ?

2) On what data do you base your comment that

Personally, I have played both. Granted, I've played the EA much more. I found the Aggie has a big warm bottom while the EA is a better balanced through the frequency range.

Here are the aggie specs:
    Power handling: 300 watts
    Frequency response: 42 Hz to 16 kHz
    Sensitivity: 102 dB @ 1W 1M
    Dimensions: 14"H x 19"W x 18"D
    Weight: 42 lbs.

Here are the EA Specs:

Power handling: 250 watts
    Frequency response: 45Hz to 12kHz
    Sensitivity: 103 dB @ 1W 1M
    Dimensions: 17"H x 17"W x 12.5"D
    Weight: 29 lbs.

Start with this as a guide. Check out some more detailed info at each companies web site. As an EA endorser, I would urge you to check out the technolgy articles at the EA Site, especially those about the Wizzy Cone and the Transmission Line.

Personally, I like the Wizzy for a few reasons (in no particular order):

2) If you are planning to use only 1 cabinet, the 4 ohms and greater sensitivity of the Wizzy will give you more volume
    3) As a solo artist, I do a lot of chord melody, looping, etc. I like the frequency response that the Wizzy gives me in the mids, upper mids and highs.
    4) The Wizzer cone gives a real smooth transition between the lows and the highs.

I played the Wizzy Combo and Wizzy Powered Extension at Bassquake and was totally taken aback by it.

7. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Yes, I owned 2 of them and I got rid of them because my Bergs blew them away. I've also played through the Aggie's. Again, the Wizzy is OK for a small cab, but without weight being an issue(and from the original post it is not) I would not recommend them. I don't just post my opinion on here for no reason and I'm not an EA basher.
  8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I am not saying you are an EA basher. I just asked you to back up what you say, as I did on a different thread. When you give an opinion like it "blows them away", I would just want to know how. In my response I gave specific items, not generalizations.

Your opinion is as valid as anyone's else's - yet everyone has different opinions and different criteria for making those opinions. So, for me, if one does not get specific of how they reached their opinion, I usually either discount it or take it as a peronal gripe

9. billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    What's a peronal gripe? Someone complaining about gum disease? :) Seriously, you're wrapped to tight. People use phrases like "blown away" to describe something subjective that they heard or felt. Just like you say you played through something and was "taken aback". In general, people on this forum are understood to be sharing their personal experience. Why discount it?
  10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    He's not discounting it. He's asking for clarification. "Blown away" is a great discriptive term, but it has no real world meaning, does it?

And, saying that "You'll get more performance from the Aggie" is meaningless, too.

Mind you, I have both an Aggie GS112 and I also have an EA CXL-110. I love them both. But saying they both rock doesn't really give you any idea of how they sound, does it?

I don't think it's too much to ask, or being "wound too tight" to ask for clarification of what is meant by subjective terms. If you don't say what you mean by "blown away," then you're not really helping.
  11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Seiously, DUDE, I DON'T live in a world of sound bites. I am not wound too tight. Someone asked a question - they are going to plunk down a few hundred dollars based on our opinions. You have an obligation to the TB'er who asked the question to give a thoughtful and accurate reflection. If you cannot to it - just shut up
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I do, indeed own a Wizzy, but I have not had a chance to play through a GS-112. However, I do have two Epifani T-112's, so I can make a comparison there. The Wizzy is much more midrange present and detailed, while the Epi is more pronounced on both the low end and the high end. Of course, the Wizzy does not have a tweeter, and tweets are one of the things that Epifani does very well, so no surprise there. As for the low end, do not interpret my remarks as saying that the Wizzy is weak in this regard. Quite the opposite. It has very pleasing, very tight low end. But the Epi will definitely shake you in your boots to a greater degree. Probably not as tight in the low end as the EA.

To me, an interesting comparison was the Wizzy to both a VL-208 and a VL-110 separately, and as a combo. One on one, I preferred the sound of the Wizzy to either of the VL cabs on their own. It was very detailed throughout its range, and I found that after playing through it for a few minutes, I didn't miss the highest frequencies from the tweeter. Compared against the VL-110/VL-208 combo, the pair narrowly edged out the Wizzy on articulation, but definitely had an edge in low frequency extension.

I really, really like the Wizzy, and I think that it packs a ton of great tone into a lightweight package. It somehow manages to capture a vintage, warm vibe, but at the same time remains remarkably detailed and articulate throughout its range. That said, if you have need for a rig to compete with Marshall half-stacks and loud rock drummers, you would need more than one Wizzy. If your amp/head is not stable to 2 ohm, this might cause a problem. BUT, EA has accounted for this by selling powered Wizzy extension cabs. You can daisy chain as many of these together as you need. Also, another weakness would be for those people who really like the high end sheen that a good tweeter can provide. I don't know what the Aggie tweets sound like, but I do like to have my Epi tweets in certain situations.

As for the GS-112, again, I don't have any direct experience. But, using the T-112's as a not so direct example, I do find that using one or two T-112's leaves me with a bit of a hole in my upper midrange articulation. That is why I really like a T-112/T-110UL combination. The T-110UL really adds clarity and focus to the upper mids, and the two cabs interact very well. From what I have read, the GS-112 is even more scooped in the mids than the T-112, so depending on your preferences, you may want to consider mixing with a 1x10 or a very midrange-friendly 1x12, like a Bergantino.

You really have two very different sounding cabs, there. From what I understand, the Aggie is a very scooped mids, but low end punchy kind of cab, while the Wizzy is a midrange-focused cab. Personal preference will definitely carry the day, here.

Hope this helps, Tom.
  13. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    The only thing that can be offered up outside the specifications of two cabinets is an opinion. That opinion is based on a frame of reference that may be different from your own. An opinion on a cab is always "tainted", if you will, by playing style, venue choices and the persons notion of what sounds good to them. You Mike, being an EA endorser and someone who is "close" to the company are going to offer up why it's just as good or better than any other product. Moreover, the closer you are to the company, the blurrier the line becomes with respect to your opinions being just your opinions or a subtle pitch. You have a bias, it's not a negative thing, it is what it is even if the product is great and does all the wonderful things you say it does.
  14. billys73

Apr 25, 2003

Well I guess you told me! I suggest you check yourself on the tightness issue.;)
  15. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    You took the words right out of mouth. Seems Mike should be the one to "just shut up" and let the unbiased opinions be posted.
  16. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Oh Fellows!!
    This is a thread I'm very intersted in.
    Its too bad that much of the thread is
    made up of arguing. Can we get back to
    these boxes please! Is the wizzy a transmition
    line cab? If so, I thought they are able
    to go deeper than other boxes. Is the wizzy
    only sold as a 4 ohm box?
    Tom.. Does the wizzy do ok with the B string?
  17. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I don't know what it is, but I have seen the pissiest posts on the amps forum today.

Getting back to the topic, I do not have experience with the EA Wizzys, but I have experience with the GS112s and EA CXL cabs.

The GS112 is a great cab. Like others said, it has a naturally scooped sound. Great lows for a cab of it's size. It has better lows than some 15s that I have heard. The lows are focused, without a lot of flop. As Jokerjkny has said in a different thread, you can EQ mids into the GS112. I have to dial in more mids on the GS112 than I would on a 2x10. "Bark" and "punch" have to be coaxed out, because it's not there naturally. The tweeter is on the hissy side. It's pretty noisy without attenuation. Throw in a compressor to the signal chain, and the hiss is even more present. But, the tweeter is useable with decent results.

As I understand, the wizzer cone is not the same as the coaxial tweeter with the CXL series. According to the EA site, the wizzy is a transmission line speaker. The only reason I didn't check further into a wizzy was due to them only being available in 4 ohm, and handled less power than the CXL series. But maybe in the future, I might check em out. That said, I consider the CXL tweeter to be the smoothest tweeter that I have heard. But, I have never played through an Epi or Berg either.
  18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Wizzy is, as stated, a transmission line cabinet. I feel that it handles the low B very well up to moderate volume levels, but as you start to crank it up, the low B seems to suffer somewhat (while the mids & highs almost beg for more). This may be a design that really likes multiple stacked cabs to get the most low end. For instance, a single VL-208 sounds very neutral and balanced by itself, but doesn't really reproduce the low B with any authority once you start to crank it. Adding a second VL-208 helps out dramatically, and even at lower volumes, there is a sense of added depth and low end volume. Because I can't pass up a deal, I ended up picking up a 3rd VL-208, and let me tell you, adding the third VL-208 takes them to a whole new level of low B goodness! Unless you are pushing stupid loud levels (which I do from time to time :D ), three VL-208's sound much more balanced and focused, and have significantly better low end than two VL-210B's. Three VL-208's seems to make for a more significant increase in low end handling than going from one to two. But I digress...

I suppose my point is that since I find the Wizzy to have a lot in common with the VL-208 (sounds fantastic, but doesn't move a lot of air on its own unless you stack multiple cabs), it may hold true that to get truly bodacious low end (with significant volume) out of the Wizzy, you may want more than one.

But, if you don't need a ton of volume, it handles the B quite well. For instance, I use the Wizzy with my Walkabout when I practice with my "quiet" band - drummer with sensibility, and guitars playing through 1x12 tube combos - and it handles the situation quite well. However, I don't see myself gigging out much with just one Wizzy, unless it's a coffee-house style gig or unless I'm playing upright with acoustic instruments.

Happy hunting, Tom.
  19. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    ok well i just went up to bass central and got a aggie..the wizzy only comes in 4 ohms...

20. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    its been like this for a while now, eh? :meh: