Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA Wizzy Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boston Bass, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Boston Bass

Boston Bass

Mar 3, 2004
    I'm looking for a small lightweight combo that kicks butt.I've got a grand to spend and have heard a lot good things about these combos. I play mostly GB gigs and once in a while a loud rock gig.I play mostly fingerstyle ,very little slap.I'd like to hear some comments from current owners of these combos,pos. or neg.

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I havent heard much about the whizzy combo but I know a few have the whizzy speaker. Search around and youll find some comments about it. Im pretty sure tom bowlus likes his.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If a single 12 with modest power (200-300w) can cut it for you, then within that class of products, the Wizzy Combo or a Wizzy cab with another head (I love mine with my Walkabout) should be on your audition list, for sure. I find the Wizzy to be both warm and articulate, which is a difficult marriage. It has great volume and low end extension for a cab of its size and weight. Without a tweeter, you will not get the super sparkly highs that some folks like (and which I do like, from time to time), but you get plenty of useable high end, with good articulation, and no hiss or harsh edge to the highs.

I also have an iAMP 800, so I can vouch for the electronics side of the EA equation. I haven't heard the Wizzy Combo itself, but I would think that it would be a great unit. And I like the idea that you can add additional 200 watt powered Wizzy cabs (as many as you want) when you might need more power.

Tom.

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Tom
    How much power have you pumped into your wizzy. I'm kicking around the idea of getting one to use with my iamp 500. Would 500 watts into this cab be way overkill?

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have used my Wizzy with my PLX 3002 and with my iAMP 800, though I have not had it very loud with either. It is not an inefficient cab, so it doesn't need gobs of power, and of course being 4 ohm it will allow most heads to throw their full rated output at it. That said, headroom is always nice, so long as you use it wisely. I would think that it would pair up quite well with an iAMP 500.

Tom.

6. I agree. The Wizzy is a remarkable little cab. "Little" because it only weighs 29 lbs.....but it sounds a lot bigger. I run my Acoustic Image Clarus 1 through the Wizzy and it is plenty loud for most applications. I have been very impressed with all the EA gear that has come through our shop. Haven't gotten a Wizzy Combo yet, but have read great reviews.

Randy