Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA Wizzy Speaker Source?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tony moore, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Does anyone know where I can buy the 12" Wizzy Speaker used in Euphonic Audio's Wizzy cabinet and combo?

Thanks,

Tony

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It is most likely a proprietary design and not available to the general public.

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    You could maybe try EA.

4. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I'm about 99% sure it's not something you can buy. Why don't you just buy a wizzy?

5. I already have an empty cabinet I'd like to use. I already own a Whizzy combo, that's how I know they sound good and like them so much :)

Actually, Jensen had a "Whizzer" coaxial speaker for car stereo's in the 80's. (Yes, I had some :) EA even mentions them on their website. I was wondering if someone like Eminence actually made the speakers for them.

Tony

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Eminence does make drivers with whizzer cones, there was a thread on this recently. But if they make the one that the Wizzy uses, rest assured they will not sell it to the general public.

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    From a recent thread:

Try getting in touch with Steve and see how he gets them. I know they're made by Eminence to EA's own specs.

Alex

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The drivers are EA's proprietary design and are not available to the general public - sorry

Mike

9. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    The EA speaker is derived from the Eminence beta 12 LT, so while you may not get the one that Eminece developed for EA, you can get someting that is somewhat similar (except they changed magnet, voice coil, .maybe membrane ...). But, if you just want an inexpensive fullrange speaker try that one.

The key to EAs sound is not so much the speakers, its more the transmission line design. While the speaker may be similar, it will not sound as good unless you build a transmission line case.
    I would find a used EA cab.

Wolfram

10. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    The EA speaker is derived from the Eminence beta 12 LT, so while you may not get the one that Eminece developed for EA, you can get someting that is somewhat similar (except they changed magnet, voice coil, .maybe membrane ...). But, if you just want an inexpensive fullrange speaker try that one.

The key to EAs sound is not so much the speakers, its more the transmission line design. While the speaker may be similar, it will not sound as good unless you build a transmission line case.
    I would find a used EA cab.

Wolfram

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Cool...I was going to re-read the first post by wneff so I understood what was being said. Now I don't have to, dude said it twice!! :D

-Mike

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Wolfram,
    Although I agree with you that the T-Line has a huge impact, I can also say that John Dong is extremely particular about his choice of drivers, the materials they are made of, etc.

I think there is a reason that there are not too many people successfully using Whizzer drivers for MI applications. Like many of John Dong's designs (T-Line, M-Line,etc) - it is just too difficult to do right.

Mike

13. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    No question, the speaker in the Whizzy cab is not the original beta. As I said in BOTH e-mails above, magnet and voice coil and maybe membrane are different.
    I own two CXL 112 and they are great!

Wolfram

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Wolfram,
    I am sorry that I was not clear on my post. I was just trying to say that although the T-Line is quite important, I cannot be sure that it overshadows John's driver designs. There is just WAY TOO MUCH that I don't understand.

Mike

15. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY

I have still yet to EVER see a used wizzy on the market. Kinda crazy.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I did, once. And I snapped it up in a heartbeat! :D

But your point is a valid one. These things just don't turn up used because they truly are something special. The Wizzy is not for everyone, to be sure, but it offers incredible tone, richness, articulation and volume from a very compact and lightweight (but non-neo!) package. In the past, I have referred to the Wizzy design as "deceptively simple", because it is such a cute little unassuming box with just one driver, speaker cable inputs, and no knobs, but it produces this big, complex, pleasing sound. John has hit one out of the park with the Wizzy in my opinion!

Tom.

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Amen, brother T! :D

18. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    This is one intriguing speaker! I used to build T-Line speakers for Home stereo. One quirk of the T-Line is that it actually lowers the overall Q when you place the speaker into the cabinet. So if you want a full warm Bass sound then you need a speaker with a High Qt. Qt >.8 is usually good.

This Beyma looks like it will make for a very warm punchy T-line implementation. I might just start building again......its been over 20 years.

http://www.usspeaker.com/Beyma 12GA50-1.htm

19. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC