Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA Wizzy vs. NL-210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I just bought a nice EA iamp 500 head and I am looking to pair it with a EA cab...I am entertaining 2 main options:

1. EA Wizzy and 2. EA NL-210

Who here has experience comparing both of these cabs? I play primarily in a worship band (but like to do many types and styles of music) and play my 4 string passive Celinder jazz at low/medium volume environments.

Will one of these work better than the other...I know there is a significant price difference here, is it justified for my needs?

Thanks, Marc

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Marc,

Congrats on choosing your iAMP500. Welcome to the EA family.

Both cabinets will be ideal for your low to medium volume performance needs. Both are very portable but the Wizzy more so. The Wizzy being a 4 ohm cab will let you get the 500 watts from your iAMP500. Although you can order an NL210 in a 4 ohm config. I only have experience with the 8 ohm 210.

I just ran both cabs back to back with an iAMP500 with my Sadowsky Metro, a very bright bass. The strings are not new. I would rather use new strings all th time which is the sound I prefer. Both cabinets were sitting on top of a CXL112 so at a good height. I used that cool EA feature of the tilt handle on the bottom of the cab to aim at my ears more. I used the active input. The one feature I like from the IAMP800 is the input level LED which the 500 does not have.

I would say the 210 sounds warmer and deeper than the Wizzy with the same iAMP settings. Of course the Wizzy sounds a bit louder with the same settings. When at higher volumes, say 5 on the input and 7 on the master you can push the 210 more than the Wizzy. However if you are playing low volume situations then this is probably not an issue. But you can only move so much air with one 12. The 210 has a tweeter and the Wizzy has the coax speaker. You may prefer having a tweeter. I have used the Wizzy on its own in small club settings with EUB and BG and it always does a great job. Two Wizzy, should you feel the need to have more volume make for a very loud compact set up.

However if I pick one cab for a gig it will usually be a 210.

Let me know if I have helped. Perhaps Tom Bowlus, Mike Dimin and other EA users will chime in as well.

3. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner of Bass Gear Direct
    Hi Marc,
    I am a new member to the EA family and I have used the NL210 and Wizzy with the iamp500 and iamp800. Extremely happy. :)

I find the wizzy gives you more of a vintage tube type of tone where as the Nl210 I find is more suitable to modern tones, more suitable to 5 string basses. This not to say that the wizzy cannot handle a 5 string bass as it does so without any problem.

One of my favourite setups now is running the iamp500 with the wizzy cab, a 68' Fender Jazz bass running the bridge pickup and using the preset "contour 2" on the amp. It sounds so sweet and punchy at the same time. Works great in the small to medium venues.

I prefer the NL210 when I use my 5 string bass as I think the NL210 can go really low and loud with out any "stress" (2 off them is bass heaven). Crystal clear thru out the highs with a solid midrange presence but not to the point where it adds it's own color. I think this is important as it allows you to hear what your bass sounds like in the venue your playing which is basically what the audience will hear. So this allows you to dial in the sound you want to hear coming out of your bass rig which will be what the audience will basically hear. If you have a soundman for FOH this will also help make his job easier to eq the bass to the sound you want from FOH.
    Hope this gives you some insight into both cabs.
    GoergeG.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I've used 2 NL210's with an iAmp800 for some time now, and it's pretty heavenly alright. Not inexpensive though! In the end - worth the price.

5. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    That is an amazing rig. Loud and very portable.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    They are both excellent cabs, and I would have a hard time choosing, to be honest. In fact, it's also hard for me to decide between two Wizzy's or two NL-210's with my iAMP 800. The Wizzy has a tad more midrange presence, but is not as extended in the lows or highs as the NL-210. I think it is equally full in the bass (and perhaps a tad more in the mids) compared to the NL-210, but the 210 goes a bit deeper. Despite not having a tweeter, the Wizzy still has very good high end detail (to my ears), but if you slap or otherwise really like the sound of a tweeter, then the NL-210 is the clear choice. If you've ever heard EA's prior 2x10's, then I need to tell you that the NL-210 is much more warm/full sounding than the VL-210 or CxL-210. In fact, the NL-210 is one of my favorite 2x10's (and of course the Wizzy is one of my favorite 1x12's!).

One interesting note with the Wizzy is that when you combine two of them, the lows get even louder/deeper/tighter than you'd normally expect from stacking two similar cabs. In addition, the high end detail enhances to a point where you are more prone to forget that it doesn't have a tweeter. Two NL-210's sound awesome as well, but to my ears they sounded just like I expected two NL-210's would sound - whereas the two Wizzy's sounded even better than I had expected.

To me, it comes down to the fact that the Wizzy is a bit more vintage sounding, and it makes for a crazy small, crazy powerful rig (esp. with two). The NL-210 is an incredible all around performer, and if I slapped or if I was going for a more modern sound, it would be my clear choice. Finally, I should also mention that one NL-210 with one CxL-112 makes for a phenomenal pairing.

But in short, you can't go wrong with either, IMHO.

Hope this helps, Tom.

7. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    A NL210 will do wonders for you mental health and general well being. So say 4 out of 5 bassologists

8. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Oh man...

I tried an iamp800 head with a NL2x10 this summer at AHBG's pad in Jersey and man...was it a sweet setup. That plus another 2x10 cab is my dream rig.

I haven't tried a Wizzy 12 yet, but why would you want anything less than 2x10's??? :bassist:

Until then, I'm many gigs away from purchasing this stuff...so, I'm off to the gig!

Jason

9. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Yamarc, where do you live? Is there a dealer close to you so you can try the cabs? Or one with a return policy you are comfortable with?

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Right on!

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I played 2 Wizzys at the 2003 Bassquake and was very impressed with the combo. 2 are definetly more than the sum of the parts.

The rig that I go out the door with is usually an iAMP 500 and an NL-210. Sometimes I take my cxl-112 which always surprises me how much I like

Any EA user that want to be listed on the player's page, please feel free to email me with your name and a link to your site (if you have one) - mike@euphonicaudio.com

Mike

12. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    FWIW, the NL-210's being sold by that Canadian dude on bassgear are at a realllllly nice price with covers! :)

(edited for grammar)

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    If only we knew who that Canadian dude was... :p

14. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    if you use an upright i would get the wizzy or a cxl 12

15. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Well I got my iamp 500 in today and I have been screwing around with it for a few hours through my Bergie HT115 (and comparing it to my Ashdown ABM 500)...

I have to say that I actually preferred the sound of the Ashdown into the Bergie. Before I make any final decisions I will certainly try a Wizzy...I really like the idea of a "Vintagey Modern" sound...now to find one used...

PS: I am going to post a few more thoughts and questions about the iamp on another thread so as not to squelch this one...come one over if you want

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That Ashdown is also a fine amp, and they do pair up well with Bergantino cabs (though I think iAMPs do, too). Definitely just a matter of preference.

Tom.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i concur,

the NL210 is by far one of the punchiest, yet smallest little cabs i've ever used.

18. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    If I may...what should I look to pay for a Wizzy? Thanks

19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i paid $350 for my used one. there is one for sale for $400 on the DB side as of Dec. 28th.

20. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    wizzies go for about $500 /ea. I have 2 :bassist: