EAA Airventure

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jul 25, 2005.

1. anybody going to this huge fly-in?
    the jet that flew around the world is there, and the jet that made it to the edge of space is there as well! plus, since its the 60th anniversary of WWII ending, there is supposed to be a big warbird display!!
    i am going on thursday!! hooray!!
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    You LUCKY bastid!

...one day, I want to go...
  3. i am going friday...it will be great!!
    Gard you should hang out at your local airport, maybe find a pilot who will fly there with you. i know my aunts then-boyfriend flew in with my dad to oshkosh, and he said it was great!
    gard maybe next year you should fly into minneapolis and i'll pick you up and we will go there. i've gone several times, and it only gets better every year!
  4. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I live about an hour south of Oshkosh, and it gets pretty cool around here this time of the year. Several groups of p-40's made multiple passes over our house on Saturday.

The only thing that gets me is that you have to pay $30 just to be able to herd through with the rest of the cattle. It's my understanding that you have to pay some big $$ to be able to get close to the aircraft.
  5. they changed that now...now there are no gates to keep you away from the planes. you can look right inside the cockpit now...i'm excited because the greatest plane in the world, the p-38 is going to be there!
    i think it is even flying the day i go!
  6. I'm a huge aviation fan, especially WW-II era. I saw a P-38 do a sweet display at the Reno Air Races a good 25 years ago(although my personal favorite is the Spitfire). Have fun, & post pics!

Time Divider, are you sure it was P-40s you saw? There are very few left in flying condition, although the somewhat-similar P-51 is nearly common in comparison.

Oh, & no- I won't give you my E-bow. I do recommend getting one, though- they're great fun!
  7. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Yep, now that I look at some pictures, they were P-51's. Still very cool. 12 of them in 3 formations of 4. Shook the house.
  8. Did you catch any of the Blue Angels show last weekend? On Thursday after work they were all over Milwaukee. I work over by Country Stadium and they were doing stuff right over the hospital! I made the mistake of heading by the lakefront on both Saturday and Sunday. I did see an A-10 and probably a P-47 flying in tight formation. Two years ago at the Airshow in West Bend I was watching the F-16 and the P-51 flying in tight formation- that was way cool, you know the P-51 was going as fast as it could and the F-16 was going as slow as it could!
  9. the spitfire is flying on thursday!

10. You get me a ride in the Spitfire(strapped on a wing if neccesary)& I'll give you two. ;)
  11. ok...its a deal...i gotta go now and get 5 rolls of duct tape... :D

12. If you don't have at least 5 rolls of duct tape you're no *gigging* bassist(OK, Houston, I got a problem- I'm trying to put a winking smilie here, to no avail. Know that I am indeed winking).
  13. haha...just used up 4 at my last gig...i'm all out now
  14. - you could make an Ebow out of duct tape. I don't know about the 'plus' version, though... :rolleyes: Hey, look! My smilies are back- cool!
  15. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Nope. 100,000+ people at the lakefront isn't my idea of a good time (you'd think being a musician I'd be better with crowds).

I work at the airport, and earlier this year I did get to watch the B-117 (Stealth fighter) take off on Monday morning after the air power display at the 128th refueling group. It took off to the east, tipped its wings to the 128th to say thanks, made a hard banked 270 degree left turn, cruised low over the north-south runway, and just before it started climbing a KC-135 took off right behind it. Then they headed south toward their home (in Albequerque, I believe). One of the coolest things I've ever seen.
  16. thats really cool...btw F-117
  17. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    You're absolutely right. It was an F-117A.

Also, K=Tanker.
  18. yeah, i wanted to add that one, but i thought it would confuse some of the others who son't know...i dunno what k stands for
  19. Our drummer works at Midwest Express...