1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Each time I change Strings, I get buzzing and need the neck adjusted

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Blah114, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    When I change my strings, I do them one @ a time.. starting with the E.. It's maddening to have a perfect sounding bass, with no buzzing..I change strings, and boom.. I have buzzing, even if slightly so, on various parts of the neck.. it drives me nuts.. because I purposely do not change strings often.. to avoid this...

What am I doing wrong here? should I get the neck adjusted each time I change strings.. it seems my fender precision has moved. Buzzing.. the buzzing cannot be heard through the amp, so I guess it's not really an issue, but I will still get the neck adjusted.

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Strange. Does the buzzing go away after the strings have beeen on the bass for a while?

Also, don't be afraid to make adjustments to your neck. They will move a bit with changes in the weather and need adjusting from time to time. Just go in small increments and don't turn the truss rod more than 1/2 turn in a day.

3. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    the buzzing generally does go away eventually.. it's just each change of strings, especially with fender basses, introduces neck changes for about 5 weeks.. so they may go away.. but it's not for some time. I am in fact afraid to move the neck.. I don't like doing that myself.. and I have been playing for like 30 years.

4. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    do use the same guage strings and same mfr? That can have some effect. You did say you changed them one at a time.

I would also encourage you to go ahead and adjust the truss rod if needed. It´s really not hard to do. If you adjust, do it slowly, maybe an eighth or a quarter turn at a time. If you go too far, just turn it back to the way it came.

Good luck!

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

6. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    the buzzing has gone away entirely now.. without adjusting the neck.. DR sunbeams.. so I don't have to do anything..

7. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Well, its soudns like you might have resolved the issue. But I still have a question for you. When you are changing the strings, do you remove & replace each string one at a time or do you remove all the strings at once and then put the new ones on? If you are doing it the second way, you taking a lot of pressure off your neck and then putting that pressure right back so the neck might need a little time to compensate.

Sorry if this sounds overly basic, but I can't think of why else, other than changing gauges, your would shift every time you change your strings.

8. I've experienced this many times over the last forty years, but more pronounced when changing brands and(or)gauges.

New strings, even if the same model and gauge, are inherently brighter than the strings that are replaced, so the buzz will be more noticeable for a while. Five weeks sounds like a long time for that though, especially if you are playing or gigging regularly.

You might have a very low action in your setup, which could cause this. A very small raising of your bridge saddles could possibly alleviate this without causing any significant difference in the action of the bass.

9. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    So, it's a non-problem?