Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

each time i play my bass, i lean to the left for about a day after coz' its so heavy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ashers27, Aug 24, 2000.

1. ashers27

ashers27

Aug 24, 2000
    are there any straps that can ease this?

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Sounds like your bass is neck-heavy like my TBird used to be. Moving the strap button can be a much better fix to this problem.

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    If you check HarmonyCentral.com, Bass, Bass Manufacturers, you will find a couple of companies that make special straps.

You could also get yourself a lighter bass. Two spring to mind - Rick Turner Electroline is 8lbs, and US Masters makes several models under 8lbs. Of course, any accoustic-electric would also be light, but maybe not suitable for the kind of music that you play...and then there is the Ashbory..talk about LIGHT! ;)

4. i have a strap that makes it so my musicman isn't so damn neckheavy., i picked it up at mike's music shop in harrisburg, PA, http://www.mikes-music-shop.com ask him about it. he'll know what you're talking about

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    try a comfy strap, it feels great with my jazz. that's all

6. ashers27

ashers27

Aug 24, 2000

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

Hm that needs to be helluva neckheavy if it makes you
    lean left.. Excatly how much weights you have hanging from
    the headstock? :D Perhaps you need some strap that has
    good grip so it won't slide.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The "Comfort Strapp" does make a difference and you can get them anywhere by mail order. I got mine from the Bass Centre in London and it really helped with heavy 6-string basses. The higher up you have the bass, the better it is as well. If you are constantly leaning over to reach a abass that is around your knees, then this is going to do serious damage to your back and will make you lean one way.

I used to carry a heavy laptop on one side all the time and when I went to see the physiotherapist at work about it, she said my pelvis had actually shifted to one side. She managed to get it back, but this gave me incredible back pain! The higher up you carry heavy objects the better, according to all the physiotherapists I've seen.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    for all my single neck basses i use a strip of belt leather, wide and unpadded - the suede underneath keeps the bass from moving, although they are pretty well balanced anyway. still, though, 7 and 8 string basses do have a lot of mass up on the headstock. those basses range from 12 to 16 lbs.

for the doubleneck i use a padded gibson strap - does a pretty good job, although i think i need to get one made that is a bit wider.

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey John i thought for your double neck you would have gotten one specially made since it's so big & heavy like with 3inches of padding or something. that's all

11. Like Mr. Lindfield said, adjusting your strap so that your bass is higher up really does wonders. At firts I used to leave mine really low and lean over it and I had horrible pains in my shoulder. Adjusting your strap fixes that up though, and now I keep it just below my chest (but it depends on where you find it comfortable). I've also found that inclining your bass' position so that the neck is a deal higher than the body helps too. It makes fretting easier, and not only does the bass feel lighter but it keeps your arms from getting fatigued.

12. That is really strange. I do a lot of backpacking, and you are told right off the bat that you should have all the weight as low as possible. All the weight should be on your hips, with little to none on yopur shoulders. Then again, that is balanced weight, which might have something to do with it.

::Back on topic::

You might just want to try shifting the bass around when you are playing so that the neck isn't so far out that the weight is effecting you.

Rock on
    Eric

13. Scottzo

Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
    try a wider strap

14. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    I put that black non-skid tape along the inside of my strap. It holds the bass right where I want it. Our drummer uses it for pedals so his feet don't slip.