1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EADG back on BEAD cut nut?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EAdanikDG, Mar 13, 2010.

1. The title basically says it all. If I cut a 4-string nut to accomodate BEAD tuning, would i be able to restring it to EADG, or would the strings all flop around etc. Thanks

2. Hi.

There's been several threads about this, but no consensus.

The majority agree that if the break angle at the slot is high enough (Gibson etc.), it may work.

I haven't gone back yet, so can't help with a definitive answer.

Only one way to really tell...

Regards
    Sam

3. They'd probably be ok, I can't see why there wouldn't be enough tension to keep them in place. I dunno about the intonation though, I imagine when it comes to intonation the bottom of the string is always meant to be at the same height from the board, and the only thing that would differ with your nut is it would be cut wider for the larger strings.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've done it with no problems.

5. mech

mech

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    ^^^^^ This.
    mech

6. yeeharacing

yeeharacing

Feb 27, 2009
    If you wanted to do BEAD why not get yourself a 5 string instead of possibly mutilating your bridge?

7. I played 2 basses strung BEAD a few years ago: an Ibanez Roadstar II (a P clone with a 2x2 headstock) and a Westone Thunder IIIa Mk2 Fretless.

On both I had to widen the slots to accept the wider strings. I widened then in a 'V' form. This was deliberate to allow the original string size to still fit in properly.

Both worked well in the context of the Blues band I was playing with at the time.

On returning to normal stringing EADG, the Ibanez had a string tree for the A & D strings and the E & G break angle over the nut meant that there were no problems.

The Westone has an angled headstock & with this, there were also no problems.

I could imagine that if there were no angle or string trees then the narrower strings might feel sloppy in the wider nut slot and a new nut may be sought.

8. SamTheButcher

SamTheButcher Yis, actually. Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    :eyebrow:

bridge? Did you mean nut?
    I've been back and forth from BEAD to EADG on the same bass, and never had an issue with the bridge.

....or the nut either.

So either way, lets see here......

• replacing a 'mutilated' $12 nut (or a $40 bridge, in your case),

• or blowing hundreds of bucks on a 5 string that you may not be able to get used to or like........

Think I'll go with the first option.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I kinda like a little slop in the nut. As long as the strings don't pop out while you play it shouldn't be a problem.

Try a DGCF tuning with a 110 E string and a 50 G string.

10. MPica

MPica

Feb 13, 2010
    :p:p:p

On topic, you really shouldn't have a problem.

11. marklaforest

marklaforest

Feb 5, 2010
    Ottawa
    I've done it with my epiphone T-bird with no problems. The nut on the T-bird is super cheap plastic and is relatively soft. I wouldn't do it with my fenders.

12. That and the string spacing, played 5s a couple of times but after "4 banging" for nearly a decade the narrow spacing is almost as bad as working out the other string.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I switched to five string after decades of playing four string. The most important factor for me by far when selecting a fiver is string spacing. I choose so-called "wide" spacing: same distance between the strings as a Fender four. I love the Music Man tone, but I'll never get one of their fivers because the string spacing is way too narrow for my hands.

That said, fiver isn't for everyone. There's nothing wrong with sticking with four and using different tunings. Perhaps you could go the Billy Sheehan route and get a doubleneck tuned BEAD and EADG. :p

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020