EADGBE or EADGCF Tuning?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mojo-Man, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Anyone use these tunings?
  2. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Isn't the EADGBE tuning what Stevie Ray Vaughn tuned the bass on his double neck?
  3. I use EADGCF everyday with my Status Graphite Fretless 6. Depending on what string gauges you choose, you can go through a variety of altered tunings with ease.

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
  5. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'd say use EADGBE if you're also a guitar player, but stick with EADGCF if not...might just be what you're used to.
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I have no use for EADGBE. I never played guitar enough in that tuning to know the chord shapes that make it the way it is.

If I had a 6-string tenor I'd tune it EADGCF.
  7. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm all over the EADGCF 4th tuning.
  8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Agreed...except I like having basses with a low B as well.

I assume (yeah, I know) that having a high B and E would be easier because I already know my positions (in theory anyway) from the low B and E on other basses.

But since this project is still just in my head, it's nice to hear different viewpoints.

9. jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    So can any 6 string be strung either way, namely with the B on the
    bottom and C on top OR with the two higher strings?

I've wondered a lot about what motivates players to go to 7 or even 8 stringed instruments, I guess its to have both?
  10. I do use the low B string so much that I hardly play 4 string any more. At first I tuned it BEADGC because I never understood the funny fourth interval G-B on the guitar. But playing chords I soon found out this is quite impossible in this tuning. Now my tuning is BEADGB and everything is going smoothly.
    I use the upper strings for chords and sometimes to backup the guitar.
    I heard that the advantage of an 8 string bass is to be able to play the guitar-part on the upper 6 strings and play some bass on the lower ones as well. One can earn twice as much this way! :cool:
    kiripunk likes this.
  11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Personally, I would do it EADGBE, especially if you ever want to play chords. I'm not saying it's the only way to go, but IME it does make certain things easier. There's a reason why most 6 string instruments historically (that I've been able to find anyway) have a little interval 'glitch' somewhere in the middle strings that makes the outermost strings come out somewhat consonant with each other. But then, I'm a guitarist too, so what do I know.
  12. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    If you were a guitar player who wanted to carry over the knowledge of standard guitar tuning to a bass, then it would make sense to tune EADGBE, but I love me some straight 4ths tuning and am a die-hard. So EADGCF is where I hang my hat. or more accurately, EADGC since I play a 5'er.
  13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    guitar players,

... runs and hides with his strat... :ninja: :bag:

but honestly,

chording on a bass with those string intervals would be a nightmare, IMHO.
  14. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    BEADGC is how my 6 is strung. I need both the extra low and high end lovin' imho. :)
  15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
  16. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i need that B string access, when i'm comping/chording up high. can only imagine the stretches.

besides, the "standard" guitar tuning is a relic compared to the more "forward" all fourths tuning of a multistringed bass.

even the great Robert Fripp doesnt use "standard" anymore, saying something to the affect, its only good for flamenco.

^all statements are done so to spur discussion, not piss off. :)
  17. trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    I would personaly tune EADGBE just beacause I would play chords all the time and then everyone would be like "wow thats a really big guitar" and then I would be all like "its a bass" and I could also play some fun stuff with that tuning. Yeah, I would tune EADGBE.
  18. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm not pissed off, and I'm not attacking you, joker, but let me say that on this point, Fripp is fulla crap. There are many far greater guitarists than he (IMO) who still use standard tuning and don't play flamenco. You say "even" Fripp, as if he were the latest in a long line of guitarists who've made this shift, but in fact, there isn't such a long line; very few guitarists (relatively speaking) play EADGCF, and there are quite practical reasons why this is so.

Newer ain't necessarily better. "Forward" don't mean diddly. A way of tuning is not a "relic" if it allows you to do something you need to do. Play a 6 string Ab major chord on a guitar tuned EADGBE, then try to do it on a guitar tuned EADGCF. See what I mean? For that matter, play an open E chord on a guitar tuned EADGCF. That's OK, I'll wait.;)

If EADGCF were that great a tuning for guitars, don't you think more guitarists would use it? I'm perfectly willing to stipulate that it works for what Fripp does--and no doubt for other players as well==but to argue that it's just plain better across the board? Nah. Again, a tuning is only better if it helps you do what you want to do. For what I do, having the B instead of C is indispensable; for someone else, it may not be.
  19. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I think that this could be one of those "lined vs unlined fretless" things. Unresolvable and totally a victim of opinion. Which is fine.

Yes, the use of guitar tuning on a 6 string bass lets you use guitar fingerings, but the use of a straight 4ths tuning gives you transposable fingerings all over the instrument. There is no "hiccup" at the B string. So to play an E Chord on a 4ths tuning I would play an E fingering that I could then use anywhere on the instrument without rebuildng it. Where the fingerings on guitar tuned instruments relate vertically, but not across the fingerboard.

I wouldn't be the only person here who fell for bass because of the transposing nature, or looked at a Chapman Stick and knew why it was such a good idea to use straight interval tuning.

And yeah, I play enough guitar to know why standard tuning works there.
  20. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Lots of different opinions here...I guess I need to get one and decide later.

Or, of course just stick to 5.