EADGC 5 String Tuning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by papalastre, Jul 8, 2004.

1. papalastre

Dec 10, 2003
    I recently had the bright idea of re-stringing my old Ibanez GSR 205 EADGC since it sits in my cupboard in a gig bag unused. EADGC would be good since the low B thats currently on it is mince and I use my Lakland for low B work. It needs a set up anyway, but does anyone know if its worth sticking in a new nut? Has anyone else had this done to a five string?
  2. It's done all the time and is sometimes preferred for solo work. The nut WILL probably need replacing but that's pretty easy.
  3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    wouldn't the nut probably not need replacing because he would be using lighter guaged strings?
  4. The prob is that the slots might be too large for the new set. It will all depend on the tolerances of the old nut. Some will work while others won't. An oversize slot can create the dreaded "rattle" we hear and hear about so often here.
  5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I changed the turning on my TRB from BEADG to EADGC and i didnt touch the nut. i have no rattles at all.
  6. Ditto! I had a Yamaha BB605, and I got rid of the low B and replaced it with a high C. Sounded great! Except... I just started playing everything on the A... so, I moved the EADG back down to their original positions... and never put the B back on :ninja: