Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EADGC

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ndjx, Feb 12, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Could someone please explain to me how I would tune my 5-string to this and where I could buy strings that came with the C?

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The easiest (although not the cheapest) way is to buy a 6 set and don't use the B.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The other way (which isn't easier but may be cheaper) is to buy a 4 set and then buy an extra high string (.025, .028, .030, .032, or whatever you prefer).

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    that was how I did it when playing EADGB on my Carvin. I'd have the local store order me 4 .028's to go with the 4 string sets. Mainly Ken Smiths but later GHS Super Steels

5. Just out of a matter of interest, what kind of music do you play that makes you feel you need a high C more than you would need a low B?

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It can be used in any kind of music. A lot of music uses notes that are pretty high on the G string, and the C sounds less "strained". (I heard that from one of the pros- can't remember which one.) Anywho, it's handy for soloing, but when I had my fiver strung up that way I found that not only did the C make for a nice pop, but it made beee-uty-ful chords.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    That's why I did it... and why I did it with a B instead of a C.

the high B made for some nice full clear chords.

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I use a high B on my 6 string too. Interested to see that there are more of us than I thought.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    at an early age I was looking to learn progressive bass stuff. The one bass teacher in my area was a country hack. He couldn't understand why anyone would want to change time signatures mid song :rolleyes:

To learn Squire and Lee lines... I took about 3 years worth of guitar lessons and taught myself bass.

I saw no reason to not use a high B when I bought my first 5 string 10 years back.