1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EADGC

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ndjx, Feb 12, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Could someone please explain to me how I would tune my 5-string to this and where I could buy strings that came with the C?

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The easiest (although not the cheapest) way is to buy a 6 set and don't use the B.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The other way (which isn't easier but may be cheaper) is to buy a 4 set and then buy an extra high string (.025, .028, .030, .032, or whatever you prefer).

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    that was how I did it when playing EADGB on my Carvin. I'd have the local store order me 4 .028's to go with the 4 string sets. Mainly Ken Smiths but later GHS Super Steels

5. Just out of a matter of interest, what kind of music do you play that makes you feel you need a high C more than you would need a low B?

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It can be used in any kind of music. A lot of music uses notes that are pretty high on the G string, and the C sounds less "strained". (I heard that from one of the pros- can't remember which one.) Anywho, it's handy for soloing, but when I had my fiver strung up that way I found that not only did the C make for a nice pop, but it made beee-uty-ful chords.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    That's why I did it... and why I did it with a B instead of a C.

the high B made for some nice full clear chords.

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I use a high B on my 6 string too. Interested to see that there are more of us than I thought.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    at an early age I was looking to learn progressive bass stuff. The one bass teacher in my area was a country hack. He couldn't understand why anyone would want to change time signatures mid song :rolleyes:

To learn Squire and Lee lines... I took about 3 years worth of guitar lessons and taught myself bass.

I saw no reason to not use a high B when I bought my first 5 string 10 years back.