"Eagle" DB-any opinion?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Fluke, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Fluke

Jul 20, 2002

A load of these "Eagles" are for sale for 600$ in Stockholm. It's only available there, but since i know they outsource all their manufacturing i thought maybe someone here has seen something very similar to it. So can you tell if it's any good? I thought it would be a neat starter instrument for basic bluegrass-type playing and some jazz.
  2. This reply won't help you much, but for our older posters, this bass looks exactly like the "German cut-aways" that we use to see back in the 50's and early 60's.
    Are these wood? Laminated?
    That shoulder cut-away is confusing to anyone who can play in the thumb positions....no support for your left wrist/arm.
  3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    ...looks like fiberglass...
  4. Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
    Just plywood i guess... i'm wondering if it's better or worse than Cremonas and the like. Which cost about twice as much seeing that you have to give them a professional setup just to be able to play them anyway... :meh:
  5. Here's another " Blast from the past "
    Gary Karr use to endorse one of those fiberglass electric uprights...I think it was Ampeg. Like this cut-away, the shoulders were so low, he had them make a metal attachment shaped in the configuration of a standard shoulder! This was attached to the bass with screws?
    No, i'm not doing any strange drugs!
  6. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    That Eagle looks like a Turkey...
  7. Arnold...It doesn't look that good.
  8. Fluke

Jul 20, 2002