Ear and Hand Position Training

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by jdombrow, Jan 24, 2002.

1. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'm fairly new to the upright bass (after nearly 30 years as an electric player). I've been thinking that if I have a software package or CD that would play scales for me, it would be a great way to develop my ear and my intonation skills. Has anyone used this method? Are there tools available (without having to input them all from scratch)? I've seen a set of 6 CDs in Lemur's catalog that may be what I'm looking for. Has anyone used them? Ideally, I would like to have the ability to choose any scale in any key, and set the tempo. Two octaves would be great.

Any comments or suggestions?

Jim Dombrowski
  2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Jim, I don't know about the CD's that you have mentioned, but many music notation software packages have the ability to play the notes that you type into them. You could use one of these packages to do what you're looking for. I use Finale, but there are others.
  3. Yeah, the Don Hermmann set is great, although I think he should've added at least dominant arpeggios, and I don't like the way the exercise numbers in the book don't match the track number on the CDs. Regardless, it's extremely valueable. After having borrowed someone else's every now and then, I finally broke down and got my own and use it a few hours every week.