1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ear Candy Cabinets anyone???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by burtonisalive, Apr 11, 2006.

1. I've been searching all around, trying to avoid just purchasing something off a shelf and have come across:

earcandycabs.com

They have a 212 cabinet that they call the Bass Bomb. It is rated as a 750 Watt RMS @ 4 Ohms, with 1000 Watts max. They say that is will not bottom out and fart like other cabs that are pushed. They are totally custom in how you can have the cab constructed, color, material, electronics, etc. They say that it will out perform any 215 and other 212s are left in the dust, to quote them.

I will be purchasing an Ampeg head, either the SVT-3 Pro, or the SVT-6 Pro, depending on the cab that I purchase. I play mostly hard rock/punk. I like a lot of bass, good mids, and soft highs. I also like to use warm distortion to accentuate basslines.

Does anyone have any experience with these cabs? Know anything about them? Thanks for any help.

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    they are pretty

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Last time I looked at their site they were strong on BS and low on actual good engineering.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    While you're there, don't forget to pick up some 110% oxygen free copper cables.

By the way, all copper electrical wire is oxygen free, otherwise it can't be soldered.

5. ...but Greenboy - how can that be so? On their website they say:

...their engineering is unsurpassed. It must be true. I read it on the internet.

:)

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

I fixed it.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's an idiotic term for internet, which is fitting to the video.

People have had a hard time understanding me recently...

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Despite the stupid commercial propaganda on the site, these cabs actually do sound fairly good. I have used one a few times; a friend owns it. They aren't the most efficent cabs around, but if you have a powerful enough head these things do give off a nice vintage vibe. Sounded great with my 400+, and pretty good through a SS rack rig as well. I would suggest trying a Traynor YBA-200 with one. The cabs had a very pronounced midrange, with natural highs. You will need to boost the lows some, but they don't mind the extra low EQ and didn't fart easily.

9. Thanks...I looked it up ;)

:bassist:

:ninja:

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I still think it would be a better idea to hold one more car wash or bake sale to raise the capital for a cab of greater repute.

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It's basic box stuffing. No tweeter, no midrange driver, no crossover, and some tarty lipstick in different colors to grab the guys that hear with their eyes. Anyone could buy the same drivers and stuff 'em in boxes and some would even get the porting "good enough" and the wiring right. Well. Maybe. Some of those big bad cabs have two speakers so I suppose some people would botch it.

12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There are dozens of vented 2x12s available. This is one of them. Yawn. But they are pretty.

13. I remember Tone Jointing from the '60's...

Thanks for the link to the amusing web site. I'm glad to see that not all salesmen have been outsourced to India.

14. Ok guys, thanks for the opinions. Like I said, I've been checking everything and everyone out to find a cab/head setup that I would like to go with.

Money is not an issue to me, I don't care about spending big bucks on a great cab or head, but if I can find something that makes me turn my head for less, then of course, like any other person, I'd like to save a few bucks.

To all of you that pointed out the shortcomings of these cabs, I appreciate it. As it is noted in everyone's reply on this and the posting that was linked by Superbassman2000, it is easy to read the BS and forget what you were really looking for.

Thanks.

Having said all of that, how about Schroeder cabs?

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [slaps forehead/]

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Schroeder?

Never heard of them.

I wonder if a search would turn up anything positive.

17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    So every cab without a crossover of some sort must suck, right? That said, if you can afford something better, there are better options. I would take a Bergantino 610 over an Ear Candy 212 any day. These cabs are great for a vintage sounding, entry level rig.

18. elolomet

elolomet Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Any body have any advice?
    Ordered a Bass Bomb 16+ weeks ago...Tim said it would be 8-10 weeks....Keeps putting me off and now he won't answer my emails either...
    At this point I would prefer a refund...
    Anybody else having problems with Ear Candy?
    Looks like I got screwed.....
    :crying::help:
    Just surprises me because everyone on here has talked so highly of Tim....