1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EAR CANDY CABS? ANYONE OWN ONE or TWO?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rapisme, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Hello,

These cabs have sparked my interest. Any one have any information? There sound, spec's, anything?

Thanks.:hyper:

2. I don't own one but I have played one before and its a decent vintage sounding cab and fairly portable at that, but do a search and see what you find.

3. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Thanks.

4. I've been checking. I would love to play through a set and see how they compare to my avatars.

5. I have an open back 1x12. I put a bass speaker in it, and have used it with my crate powerblock as a very portable bass rig. Mine is light, covered in Tolex, and looks like it was built by somebody who really cares.

The cabinet is built very well. I bought it from the vendor in an ebay auction. Based on my sample of one, I would say these are very nice cabinets, and I recommend them.

6. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    open back bass cab?

7. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    I've heard the manufacturer actually talks to his clients as to what sort of tone you're looking to get out of a specific cab?

Interesting? Uses different speakers in his cabs. Rock, Soul, Pop, R&B, how does he do that?

8. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Here is a link to a review of an EarCandy (4th post on page). There are numerous reviews on Harmony Central and BGRA. It seems there are some on TB that won't be your friend if you own one. Just so you know. :eyebrow:;)

http://forum.fretlessbassist.com/index.php?topic=10.15

M. M.

9. Yeah. I actually bought it as a guitar cab for the Crate, but it has pulled duty for bass. For the small community center type gig where the volume's low and you just need to hear yourself. I generally put my gear bag behind it to close the back, and it works surprisingly well. One trip in and out.

10. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Hmmmmmmmmm,

Must say that as far as looks are concerned they're different.

11. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Yes ...I just got one recently. I just did a review of mine on a thread. I really like the cab!! Heres a pic of the EarCandy BassBomb 212 cab that I had custom built sitting on top of my Schroeder 410R cab-You can have them made in any color, with different speakers, and in in many different styles to suit you...see the thread for a detailed review...Peace...DAcat :cool:

Attached Files:

12. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Kool!!!! wow I've been away.. Thanks everyone for your contributions.

13. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    The BassBomb is an extraordinary piece of equipment. Really well built & solid. I'm able to get extreme deep sounds that speak really quickly & articulately. When I do a few more gigs with it I'll do a proper review but for now I'll just have to say it changed my sonic outlook on life; things that were not possible before are every day occurrences. Physically a really small footprint, sonically massive. Those folks talking smack about EarCandy have probably never tried one & I suppose that's OK. As for me I smile a lot whenever I plug in.

14. I don't have one but i like the idea of how customizable they are (lookswise at least) I thought i remember people being down on them because they aren't built as effecient as they could be--something like that

15. blowinblue

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    It was a looker, that's for sure. Proudly owned by a fellow TBer at present. :)

BassBombfront.
    BassBombrear.

M. M.

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've seen a couple posts here on TB that refer to the BassBomb tone as "old school" and "vintage", suggesting that it lacks high mids and highs - presumably because it doesn't have a tweeter or a crossover. But that doesn't seem to jibe with the great majority of reviews on Harmony Central and BGRA - which attest to a tone with ample mids and a surprising degree of high-end sizzle and sparkle for a basic 2x12.

I must admit, I'm intrigued. And I'm keeping a completely open mind. Based on the opinions of those who have actually owned one and played one, it would seem to have something pretty special to offer... :meh:

MM

17. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Oh man...GAS attack!

This would go nicely with my custom blue parts bass with my soon to be custom brushed aluminum pickguard -

[​IMG]

I do have to say though, I don't like those grills. They give it a cheap swap meat car sub box look. Needs a metal grill going across the entire front. Needs a full steel black grill.

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1
    You know, it's funny--I get really interested in the threads and posts from acoustical experts here, and make my mind up that any cab I buy must be the most efficient and scientifically-correct thing possible... and then ten minutes later I get wrapped up in threads about how awesome old Ampeg, Mesa, and Peavey amps sound(ed), and make up my mind that any cab I buy must be the epitome of vintage rawk. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm foolish that way. Oh well.

Anyway my point is that from what I've read, the Earcandy cabs rock hard and sound awesome, in spite of the possibility that they may not be designed on the soundest of acoustical principles, and may not do quite as well in the lowest frequencies as they claim.

19. That was your cab? I remember seeing that one (or one just like it) on CL last year. Rarely do Ear Candy cabs come up for sale used. Wanted to grab that 2x12, but alas... didn't.

My buddy bought a new 2x12 Ear Candy Guitar cab. Looks really nice. Put some Vintage 30's in there, and it sounds great. Has the option of open back or sealed. Construction of the cab seems very well done.

20. blowinblue

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Agreed for the most part.

The manner in which Tim Paulsen describes his design principles does leave him open to some ridicule. But the cabs do rock. Mine sure did. Never mind the questions about the BassBomb's lowest frequency capabilities...the low B rocked as hard as my Epi UL-410 and Ag GS 212. My Candy sounded a lot like my Ag DB 115's. In fact, that's the main reason I sold mine, so I could buy a couple of DB 115's. That, and I wanted all my cabs between 22.5" and 24.5" in width. :)

The EarCandy in TB classifieds last year was indeed mine.

M. M.