1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ear piercings

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Figjam, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I recently got my ears pierced a few days ago (my girlfriend did it because we were bored). Right now I have the smallest white gold studs in that I could find because I dont really like the look of piercing earings, ie: the earrings you have to wear in a new piercing. My gf says I should wait 6 weeks before putting in the earings i want to put in ( http://www.jobananas.com/acatalog/info_JBFP_PLAIN4mme.html .

Do i definitely have to wait 6 weeks?

2. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Wouldn't screw around with the recommendations on piercings. Especially if it was done by an amateur. Definitely do not put anything acrylic in your ears as I have lost a piercing due to infection after having them for over 6 months. Surgical steel loops are the best things for keeping new piercings clean and infection free.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The earrings i want to put in are surgical steel. Does this mean they may be okay after only , say 1-2 weeks? Or no?

4. Getting holes punched through your cartilage because you're bored sounds like a great idea. ;)

5. I would def. not do anything to the earrings at least for 6 weeks. I couldn't see the picture, but if it was cartilidge, I would not touch it for even longer. The body dosen't really like piercings, and the more you mess with them, the more likely you are to have problems.

~K

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    its lobe, not cartiledge.

7. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    Yes, you need to wait six weeks before putting those earrings in. You have to clean your ears every day with disinfectant to keep them from getting infected and rotate your earrings so your skin doesn't heal ON the earring. The ones in the picture are so big you wouldn't be able to clean them properly and they would get infected for sure.

The best thing to use is the ear cleaning solution you can get at any ear piercing place. It's soothing and you just soak a cottonball with it and put it on your ear. But you can also use antibacterial soap. I wouldn't suggest alcohol. Bactine would probably work just as good too.

Make sure you clean your ears EVERY DAY and DO NOT touch your earrings with dirty hands. Wash your hands with antibacterial soap before touching them. Rotate the studs in your ears. They should heal in about six weeks (I'm guessing?) and then you can put in the earrings you want.

8. Keep your ears free of gunk. When the crusties appear, clean em off. Try not to play with em too much.

Basically, once they heal (4-8 weeks) you can swap em for other earrings, but changing them beforehand can lead to a bad infection.

9. I wanted to learn how to spell cartiledge so I put it in there.

...Can we get some pictures? Aren't you the one with an afroish thing going on? ;)

10. You had it right the first time: cartilage.

11. i thought it was "doofuses"

12. The second time I just copied off of Fig's quote... blame him. :p

13. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Dewfiss*

14. How big is the hole before it can't be closed?

15. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Yes, wait the six weeks.

Alip, almost all the holes will close, unless it's HUGE.

16. That's what I want to know, how huge can it be stretched before it can't close?

17. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Note that no ear piercing hole will ever completely close up. You will always have a small mark where there was a piercing, even a standard size.

These are about the limit to what will end up closing up within reasonable manner of closure:

[​IMG]

onion1.jpg

18. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Inactive

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    you dont really have to, if the earring you want is made/coated with titanium you can use it. I had my titanium one since the first day with 0 problems.

19. You mean that big lobe can be closed?! :hyper: HOO BOY!

Define "small mark". You talking about a tiny hole that will never plug up or something like a scar?

20. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    It's more like a scar. The inside is closed, so it's not like you can put anything through it. If you wanted to wear an earring again after it's closed, you'd have to get it re-pierced.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021