Ear Plugs/Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CamMcIntyre, Jan 28, 2001.

1. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Hey all-i played @ a party on Friday & when i got home i had this high pitched ringing in my ears-did i mess up my ears badly? I ordered some ear plugs since i don't want to risk losing my hearing @ all. So my question is do the foam ear plugs work effectively enough & does the high pitched ringing-lasted for about a half hour or so-mean anything bad? Thats all
  2. ringing in your ears is ALWAYS bad.. no matter how much it is.. (i think)

but you haven´t damaged your ears terribly...

and soft foams earplugs work very well... I recently got d'addario ear plugs and they really work! I don´t lose anything that I want to hear but I lose what I don´t want to hear. :)

good luck with your ears...

ps. DON´T blow a firecracker next to your ear!!! that HURTS!!!! :eek:

I damaged my right ear permanantly (I can still hear but not as well as with the left one.... nothing too serious though) with a firecracker
  3. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Thebass, thanx. I ordered 2 sets of the Rock N' Roll Ear plugs from MF today. They're foam & according to the catalog have a noise reduction rating of 26db. Any reduction is worth it to me-i'm only 14. Thats all
  4. I put cotton wool in my ears when gigging or practising- foam earplugs take out too much of the highs. it stops my ears from ringing afterwards, so it seems to work. only the drummer in one of the bands I play in uses ear protection (moulded plugs)- the others don't. somehow it's the bass player that gets the worst deal- ears attacked by both the drums and the guitar(s).
  5. it only was ringing for half an hour? you're lucky. went to a gig on friday night. my ears are still ringing two days later. But that was my fault i had earplugs and didn't wear them, damn alcohol....lol

Anyways i get the 30c earplugs from the chemist, the work fine. they block out the ultra highs, like over ringing cymbols etc, but i can still hear the guitarists solos (unfortunately :p).

What happened to your ears was very mild, won't do any long term damage. just don't get into that musician frame of mind whereby "I'm getting used to the loudness" truth is you aren't, you're going deaf!. lol Every night now i have ringing in my ears, even if i haven't been to gigs for months. Tinnitus sucks man, so its better to wear earplugs.

I would get ribbed in my band for wearing them, but after the gig on Friday we had rehearsal on the sunday and they all had earplugs. lolololol

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I use ear plug all the time, I have permanent damage in my ear, it's still not really bad, but now I wear earplug all the time.

DOn't forget:
    don't ever take them out!
    if you start the gig or the practice session with it, you have to keep them in your ear all night!
    Very important!

7. I wear ear plugs because I value my hearing. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a pair of shooters' ear plugs. They are soft plastic with the string so they can hang aroung your neck when you take them out. You are able to vary the amount of sound level you want by how far you place them in your ear. If you ever get around to my web site, look closely and you will see me with them on.
  8. Tinnitus sucks, I can tell you. Take the advice to always wear plugs its not worth the pain and all that comes with constant noise in your head. Now off you go to get some plugs. And dont forget to wear them! It will probably feel strange at first but when you get used to it it wont cause any probs!

Noone can restore a damaged hearing.
  9. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Everyone please remember, you only lose your hearing once. There are many of our counterparts here that can tell you the horror stories of living with tinitis everyday. Get protection of some sort.
  10. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    My ears used to ring, when I first discovered the joys of standing right by the drummer, but they don't any more. Is that good or bad?