1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ear plugs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Flea4ever, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Flea4ever

Flea4ever

Dec 4, 2011
    Okay I'm a teenager and I have started going to a few gigs I used foam earphones at kasabian as they worked okay but I would like a proper pair at a reasonable price (something £20 or under) for the Red hot chili peppers gig I am going to my ears are quite sensitive also I would need them to reduce loads of sound so I can play with my band and not damage my ears but still be able to hear a good sound quality. Going to gigs, playing at gigs and band practice what would you reccomend?

2. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    If you have sensitive ears, you should definitely get the best plugs you can buy. Get some custom made! Do you wear plugs during band practice?

3. Flea4ever

Flea4ever

Dec 4, 2011
    not generally during practice but I have recently become aware of he long term affects and I want to keep my ears protected I have only recently started playing in a band should I buy a cheap pair now and wait till my band starts big gigs to get a custom pair as they are quite expensive or should I get a custom pair straight away?

4. Rob Lewis

Rob Lewis

Feb 23, 2006
    London
    "Listening" to "music" that requires earplugs is insane. Discuss...

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I suggest you read through TB's sticky on the topic http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f30/hearing-loss-ear-plugs-3743/

IMO, not much to discuss. Even at medium volume rehearsals, gigs and concerts, plugs are recommended because of the length of time you're exposed, not necessarily the peak volume. Even a few cymbal crashes can create problems.

Hey, I use plugs when driving my Corvette. It has no sound absorption material installed, a loud exhaust system and when driving more than a few miles, you ears will ring if you don't have plugs. Driving in it for an hour or two is crazy w/o plugs.

I carry a set with me at all times, just in case.

6. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Avoid latex earplugs if there's any chance you have an allergy to latex. Speaking from personal experience. There are inexpensive latex-free earplugs available that get you about 30db noise reduction, which is pretty significant.

7. I've always just used shotgun earplugs. They're cheap and they work.

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    It's definitely worth the $100 (I'm guessing around 80 euros) to get a pair custom fitted for you. I find that cheap plugs cut out certain frequencies way too much, which makes hearing certain instruments impossible and the money spent on those plugs a waste because you won't use them.

9. Musicians earplugs is a cheap investment concerning getting tinnitus and hearing loss later in life. Your old self will thank you for that investment. Or, instead of getting another pedal, get custom musician earplugs.

For example, last night at a local jam I played loud rock for 1:45 hours or so straight. No ringing in ears when I came home or when I woke up.

10. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    My drummer has these like earphone things used for hunting... He can stand without it, but he said it sounds really awesome in the mix... he hits the drums so hard it sounds like a pistol went off. I've used them for five seconds then I felt like a noob (I don't have sensitive ears (; ) and unless an expert amazing person tells me wrong it doesn't really mess you up. It sounds really cool but it doesn't influence that much.

11. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    Surefire makes a great plug for 12 bucks. They fit very well and you can't beat them for the price. Surefire.com

12. But they are designed to cut sharp impacts, not to reduce ongoing volume.

Definitely better than nothing, but not as good as earplugs designed for music.

13. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    "True That". When you're 65 and half-deaf or worse, you'll wish you'd spent that $100 back when you were younger.

14. Get some...and I'll offer you options.

Etymotic Research, Inc. - ETY-Plugs ER20 High Fidelity Earplugs

Here are a bunch of different options...starting at just $4 a set...

http://www.earplugstore.com/nasopl.html

Here is the set I recommend, because they come with three different sets of filters from about 10 dB to 18dB reduction at the lowest frequencies. Personally, I find 20 dB earplugs to be too much noise reduction - they make it hard for me to hear what's going on. $25 and well worth it.

http://www.earplugstore.com/alnasoearpl.html

15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I'm just going to say that if you get in the habit of watching your stage volume now, you will have a long, and happy life as a player.

We don't take kindly to people cranking gear in this band.

Drummer: behind a six foot tall shield.

Guitar: he knows how loud he can go, believe me!

16. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
  17. I've been pretty committed to Hearos earplugs. I've got significant hearing loss and live shows to me always sound like mush (whether I'm spectating or playing) and these earplugs make the sound alot more bearable and I can actually hear everyone in the on-stage mix at gigs alot clearer and at concerts can hear the house mix much clearer. For custom-molded, I like Radians custom-molded earplugs. I know here in the states you can usually get a set for less than $15 USD.