Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ear protection (sorry moderator...dunno where to post this)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RETSAMPALS, Jan 29, 2001.

1. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    i've been worrying about hearing damage for a while and i'm just wondering if anybody has found a good pair of earplugs which don't muffle the noise...?
    i've heard about the ER-20....has anybody tried them?

2. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I am having the same problem. Any help would be cool.
    cameron

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hearing Loss? No problem! you've come to the right place!

I have broughtan older but excellent thread on the subject back to life. That should be a good starting point.

New additiond to the discussion are more than welcome too.

Will C.:cool:

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Help has arrived! Unfortunately, it arrived much too late for me, and I lost a good portion of my upper-register hearing. Not wanting to lose the rest of it, I took steps several years ago to protect myself. I tried every option available and can say that if you want comfortable, effective hearing protection that you'll stick with, get ready to spend some bucks and get the best right out of the gate. I'm speaking of going to an audiologist or Ear/Nose/Throat doctor and having molds made of your inner ear, then installing a pair of ER-15 or ER-20 inserts. This is without a doubt the best option. Don't be misled by others who've settled for the $9 Sonics or worse, foam plugs , tissue balls, or even cigarette butts. They aren't getting either the comfort or protection you'll get from a good custom-made set...and they DEFINITELY won't provide the same quality sound. My ERs lower the levels equally without undue attenuation of any particular frequencies, and actually make things easier to pick out of a mix. "Junk frequencies" are eliminated, and what you hear is cleaner with better seperation and at a non-harmful level. I think I paid in the $100 range for mine, services included. I initially got the ER 20s but found they were a bit too much attenuation and went to the 15s. Pricey? Maybe, but what is your hearing worth? Remember, once it's gone, it won't come back. Forgo a few sets of strings and make the best gear investment you could possibly find.

5. Just wanted to second that! I've got mine ER-20 a month ago, and they're great, really worth the dough. But, as far as I'm concerned, the foam earplugs (the yellow ones called E.A.R.) reduces the sound level with 30db - 35db, while the ER-20 takes 20-25 db away. So I guess for ear protection the foamplugs are better, but then again you just might give up playing coz' it just takes everything away (I know, coz' I've used them for years...)

By the way, does any of you know if there is made a ER-30 filter or atleast some that's higher than 20?

Lars

6. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    A highly important thread!

Thanks for the info guys, I'm going in to see an audiologist next week so I'll know what I'm looking for. I tried all cheapo and over the counter solutions and all of them made it impossible to play as I couldn't hear anything clearly.

mchildree you said it man. Those plugs may be pricey but your hearing is worth it.

7. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    yeah i think i'll just buy the er-20s for now...and i'll get all my bandmates on it...
    i'll get the custom mold thing maybe in the summer seeing as i live overseas and i'll be back in the states during the summer
    thanks a lot for your help guys!