Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ear to the Ground (Bands no one seems to know PT. II)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BigWig Will, Jun 13, 2003.

1. A long time I put up a post about bands no one seems to know that are really good.

As time has progressed, I have found many many many more bands that are amazing and virtually unknown. (or relatively unknown).

so, I thought it would be a good idea for everyone to share their picks for their favorite underground/underappreciated bands. Either local or otherwise.

Here goes:

-Lifter Puller (indescribably good)
    -Against Me! ("folk-punk", seem to be gaining notoriety)
    -The Kills (The White Stripes, only Awesomer)
    -Dr. Octagon (don't know if he's still doing stuff under that moniker, but he's still awesome hip-hop)
    -Del The Funky Homosapien (Did stuff with the Gorillaz)
    -Rudiments (Awesome ska-punk, broken up for a few years now, but their album is being rereleased by Asian Man Records in August)
    -Horace Pinker (Pop-punk, but much better than any of the stuff on MTV)
    -Samiam (Like Jawbreaker, but I think they sound more earnest "Like Punk Rock for old people")

lets see yours.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    While checking out del you are bound to find the back door into a large body of underground hip-hop.

I would add:

Aesop Rock, again just check this guy out, amazing *white rapper, and all his crew and contemporaries are pretty awesome as well.

I normally wouldn't put any local bands, but these cats need mentioning, they are slowly gaining rep, and are pretty well known around here, I think they will go far.
    Underwood

3. Inaura

this was a rock-with-synths band of the mid-to-late 90's that fell apart after the usual A+R-dept-changes-so-artist-gets-sidelined/dumped trouble.

one of their songs "a hundred degrees" is on my mp3 page "the search for Rico Alvirez" linked below.

a bit like X-CNN; dark, atmospheric, with dance elements.
    former Magazine keyboardist Dave Formula played on one of their songs and toured with them.

I bought their album "one million smiles" for £1 (the independent label that salvaged the album from a major label, ORG records, has shut down)- some fine stuff on there.
    but not the best bass playing, admittedly.

re. new bands, I like the current single (i forget the name) by Stellastar a lot.
    it is very reminiscent of Throwing muses' "not too soon".

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Floater. They've been around for years, and they have some fantastic albums, even a pretty well-known single from a while back, but no one ever mentions them or seems to know who they are. Awesome bass player/singer as well.

5. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Wow, I'm surprised anybody else has heard of them. I personally don't like them, but that's because I can't stand the singer's voice.

Some of my good friends saw their reunion shows this past weekend in Minneapolis.

Maybe I'll give them another chance and try to get past the singer's annoying voice.

6. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I'll add Keleton DMD to this discussion. Awesome band from the K-Zoo, Michigan area. Look them up on google.

7. fourfinger

fourfinger

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    Is Edwin McCain too mainstream to be mentioned here? I don't know if that band's ever going to get their due, although they had some success a couple of years ago. Bass lines are way out front in those mixes, too.

8. montrocity

montrocity

Jan 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh PA
  9. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I've been enjoying some great Philadelphia bands lately.

Lefty's Deceiver High energy, melodic rock. Great live show. Saw them open for Ted Leo last night and they were great.

Matt Pond PA Sometimes called "chamber pop" (or something like that). Acoustic rock with a string section. They kinda remind of the Cure... maybe it's Matt Pond's voice. Same drummer as Lefty's Deceiver.

Bitter, bitter weeks Solo acoustic project of Philly producer Brian McTear. His songs are mostly sad and melancholy, but not oppressively so. It's amazing how powerful a voice and guitar can be.

10. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    May be too mainstream, but Tim Bannevich is an outstanding and grossly underappreciated bassist. Propers to him.

May have already been mentioned somewhere but check out DEADWEIGHT. Violin, cello and drums. Very :cool:

11. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    There's a band from around here that is pretty quickly building a decent fanbase.Normal Like You. They're awesome. If you get the chance to see them, check them out. I've literally seen them turn a sizable crowd of people who had never even heard of them into a bunch of worshiping fan-boys/girls (this included myself) in 30 minutes. It was incredible. They're sort-of pop-punk with some Thursday thrown in, but they are all damn good at their instruments.