Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ear training... kinda

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassandlax, Apr 8, 2002.

1. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    well i know it isnt really ear training, but ive been reciently having some trouble figuring bass lines out by ear. I have always been able to pick out simple stuff that my band covers. But, lately i have been listening to alot of the flecktones. The music is supurb, along with the bass playing of victor. (right now im working on "outbound") I am having trouble figuring out some of victors more simple lines on the cd :eek:

can anyone help me... ive tried the singing the bassline method... and i although eveyone says its the only way to go... i have had little to no success with it..

any suggestions or tips are wanted and greatly appreciated

joe

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    moved to general instruction

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I bought that album and there is some complex stuff going on! I wouldn't expect to be able to play this kind of thing easily.

The thing that might help is an understanding of the theory behind it - I haven't tried transcribing any of this, but there are some Jazz influences and if you have an understanding of the chords/scales used then sometimes it can be easier to hear what is going on.

Just a suggestion, as I don't know where you are on this ...

But anyway - some of this is just plain hard - like the solo where he sings the line as well - I don't think I'd be able to play that exactly, no matter how good my ear was! ;)

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    have you noticed what he is singing.. "I get paid bye the note".. "jump back, gotta smell my feet" that is funny stuff man :)