Ear Training Perfect Pitch system?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassman1185, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Has anyone used this system? It (supposedly) teaches your ear to recognize the pitches of different notes. I was looking through Bass Player and I saw the ad, and it looked interesting. Does it work? According to the ad, it worked immediatly on about 97% of the people they tested.
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I haven't used the system, but Jeff Berlin once denounced such systems as a waste of money and felt nothing beats learning intervals, chords, scales and just plain playing music rather than an artificial method to train the ear.

I once found an Internet ear training sytem that I showed a bass teacher I had. He ,too, said it was a waste because it would train me to discern Internet intervals, but I would do far better to learn the intervals on my own bass.

The system you describe has been around many years. In fact in early ads the "dude" had long "glam band" hair! Now his hair is short. A few more years and he will be bald!

Seriously, if he has been able to sell his program all these years some folks must be satisfied.

One book I highly recommend and it is much cheaper than the sytem you describe is Gary Willis book Ear Training for Guitar and Bass.

It places heavy emphasis on intervals and starts with simple exercises moving to much more complex examples. Maybe you could try that book first. I may not have the name exactly right. My bass books are in disarray now and I can't put my hands on it.
  3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Forget it

Work on Relitive Pitch training.(relating everithing to Do)

4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    What, may I ask, is an "Internet interval"?

I don't agree with your teacher. Learn intervals using any pitches you can get your hands on. The qualities they have transfer to other octaves and timbres suprisingly well.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I still fail understanding why a perfect pitch would help a musician.
    Most people having it (FOR REAL, not so-called learnt) describe it as more confusing than anything.
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    That guy still has long hair, and he's perpetually got the face like he's thinking to himself, "Rockin'!!" The little blond inventor guy has always looked very creepy to me as well. Ads always looked like a rip-off programt to me.
  7. I've fiddled with the Perfect Pitch Program (this was years ago) and I think there's some validity to it- if your interested in developing perfect pitch.

The theory is that every note has a color, or set of characteristics, beyond just the note itself. For instance, F# has a gritty characteristic where Eb is much more mellow. What they do is work you up to four notes that are a minor third apart- F#, A, C, and Eb. Because they are the same interval from each other, it becomes harder to use any relative pitch that you may have acquired. They ask you to try to identify the notes from the color, not the pitch. If you work at it you can eventually hear each note's color, the problem is that each note has a different set of characteristics that are very subtle from the last one. It takes a lot of work to 'open your ear' to the point where you can hear this. Also, being able to hear these characteristics on different instruments and timbres is even more difficult.

The biggest downfall of the program, at least when I was working with it about 8 years ago, is that you need someone else to play the notes for you. Finding the time to work on something that could make you a better musician is one thing, finding someone who is willing to take the time to play the notes for you is another thing.

It's interesting to note some musicians that were/are believed to pocess perfect pitch: Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Frank Sinatra, Leonard Bernstein, Barbra Streisand, Julie Andrews, Andre Previn, Stevie Wonder, Nat King Cole, Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, Glenn Gould, Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Shaffer...
  8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I phrased it badly by saying "Internet interval"trying to be humorous. What my bass teacher meant was that the rather synthesized- sounding intervals as they were played on that Internet ear training program would not be of much help in "real" music.

As it turns out, he may have had a point. It may have been my bad computer speakers, but intervals on the Internet were much harder to discern than they were on my bass or on my keyboard.
  9. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I heard a story about someone with perfect pitch who couldn't stand to listen to music because the instruments were never exactly in tune with each other, and it drove him crazy. Can anyone comment on this? I'm kinda skeptical.
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's what they always say. It drives them crazy.
    The trumbonist in my band has perfect pitch and he hates it when I play fretless :(
  11. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    That doesn't have to be from "perfect pitch" though - the increased sensitivity coming from experience or ear training is enough to make you aware of things like that (slightly out of tune instruments) you may not have noticed before (or just couldn't put your finger on).
  12. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Just playing the Upright bass allot and working on your intonation with a bow makes me much less tolerable to out of thing being out of tune.

13. I think that someday it would be neat to study that, but I just enjoy looking at that guy with the cheesey smile, long hair, and red Strat.

14. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I THINK i have perfect pitch but i don't get discussed by just listening to music.. i just pick up where it could be out of tune....

Pete: I guess I don't have perfect pitch at all :p