Ear training recommendations (songs)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ivorygums, Sep 23, 2002.

1. this has probably been asked before, but i was wondering if anyone had any helpful constructive suggestions on songs that might have a clear, and non complicated bass (but not ridiculously elementary), that could be used to train ones ear. Basically a song that would challenge a tone deaf person, but isn't out of reach. (i always liked Anxious Mofo by the Minutemen, and parallel universe by rhcp) Any input would be appreciated.

"i am married to a cigarette butt, lying in the gutter"
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I would suggest that you check out the ear training exercises at ActiveBass.com
  3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If I understand your request, you want ear training as to structure, or just root notes that jump out and kick you?

Great musicianship is about "in your face", as much as it is about subtleties. Or being slick and cool. (and of course, tasteful)

For structure, in POP music: Chuck Berry, oldies(1-4-5 music) or Blues music. You don't have to cop to what the bass player is doing (sometimes you can't even hear it).
    Just find the root and work with it. Over and over.
    Most of us started that way. Just find a groove.
    Develope it, and branch out.

Hope this helps.
  4. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Personally, you should learn with the music you listen to. It would be the most revelant.

Listen to the songs you like to listen to, find Bass line you want to learn, and listen to the song repeatedly until you learn the Bass line.

Every song I've learned to play i've done by ear (or at least the majority, sometimes if I get stuck on a part, I'll check out a tab for reference. Sadly, most tabs are horribly wrong, but sometimes they can help give me an idea if i'm lost)

I use WinAmp, and just play a song until I learn it. I also usually Tab the song out as I learn it so I can have it for future reference. The toughest ones for me have been mudvayne songs. My advice is not to try to learn it all at once. Stick with one part at a time. Depending on the difficulty of the song, work with a Verse/Chorus, or other whole line at once, Work with a few bars at once, or even note by note if it's too tough. That's how I go about it, (although being in the school orchestra for 8 years when i was in HS helped a lot so it's not too difficult for me).