1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ear training to make up for poor monitor mixes

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, Nov 29, 2006.

1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I usually don't complain much about my monitor mix. I usually tell the soundman what I want in my monitor, and leave it.

In the same way that I've learned to hear the bassline in a song on the stereo, I've learned to "hear" the thing I need to listen to from the band, regardless of the monitors. I try to isolate the vocals or whatever from the other instruments on stage in my head.

Does anyone else do the same?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yep. There's an old adage: "If you can hear yourself, you're too loud." :ninja:

3. If I can't hear myself I can still hear what notes I'm playing "or at least am supposed to be playing :p" in my head

4. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Hmm... I guess I've been spoiled at times by good monitor mixes. :)

No, for me, it's essential that I can clearly hear the notes in my guitar and hear my vocals so that I can tune appropriately... especially when only the bass is playing from the other side of the stage. That wash of overtones can sometimes be deceiving.

My philosophy on monitors - I only put in what I need. For example, I don't need drums. Ever. I never put in bass, and rarely ask for backup vox. All I want in there is my vocals and a touch of guitar. I learned this from a pro band I once ran sound for. Their monitor mix:

Lead vocalist: Lead vocal only
    Lead guitar/vocal: Lead guitar, backup vox only
    Bassist: Lead vocal only
    Drummer: IEM, so he needed everything

What I learned: When everybody has everything in their monitor, things get muddy and loud real fast. I still have to remind my bandmates of this sometimes (I caught my drummer saying once, "I can't hear any snare in the monitor")...

5. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Being used to playing shows with either no monitor or just monitors for the singer, I've grown accustomed to not hearing my guitarist play. I play along with my drummer.

6. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Fretted or fretless?