1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ear training type

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by maxy, May 11, 2005.

1. maxy

maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    I was searching on ear training and found
    "Ear Training: One Note Complete Method
    by Bruce Arnold" convincing that is neither interval based nor fake perfect pitch. Its identifying notes within a key.

Anybody have experience with this type of ear training?

And also i know a program called function ear training based on the same concept. Do i need the buy the book if i just use the program?

2. Is the second one you're thinking of Functional Ear Trainer? I think it's a good program, which can teach you to pick out notes after hearing a few chords from a key. That's a handy skill. It's a free program, so you might as well try it. I haven't used it enough to see major progress, but I'm a little better than I was before.

3. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    I've tried that program, I can usually pick out notes, but only on piano. Notes on bass sound totally different. Also, that program's random function is weird. Once I got one note ten times in a row, and one note hadn't been played at all.

4. bass samurai

bass samurai Guest

Jul 7, 2003
    What ear-training methods are you guys using? I'm studying out of this book from MI which seems pretty good so far. I was checking out cyber fret & came across a perfect pitch course & I was wondering if anyone's had success with it.