Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ear Training

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jogguz, Oct 12, 2005.

1. jogguz

jogguz

Oct 12, 2005
    Hi this is my first post and my first time on the site.
    I have been playing the bass for about a year now, self taught and i feel i am at a capable level and now i really want to start ear training. All i know about it is what it achieves, but i din't know how to do it, so has anyone got any tips on how to do it without a teacher, if you do i'd really appreciate it. thanks!!

2. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    sit down at a keyboard. sing the scales as you play the notes. once you feel good about this, try to sing them without playing them. also, try to identify intervals - play two random notes and try to figure out whether they were a perfect fifth or a major third, etc. then, try to sing the different intervals. if you can sing them, you can play them.

3. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    First you got to learn the basic interval theory..(minor 2 ,major 2, minor 3 ,major 3, ETC).
    If you already know all the intervals you can sit down with your bass guitar or a keyboard and play the intervals while singing, later sing the intervals alone without playing the BG and after that compare what you sang to the real interval pitch and check yourself.
    You should practice a lot and let it penetrate into your brain.
    When you fill ready you can sit and listen some patterns on song you like (start with easy ones) and try to analize the intervals and the riff you hear.

Good luck ;)
    Adisu.

4. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Hey mate.
    I was just wandering the internet looking for some theory for myself when i found this very nice site that can be very helpful for you...

Just go to the middle browser and choose the training you want...they have ear training and regular theory training...very cool site. :)

Adisu.

5. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    I would say singing the notes of scales and chords is the best way.

6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
  7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Ear training is essential and there is no substitute for traditional tried and true methods. One thing I always suggest is spending some time learning basslines and songs by ear. It's a pure form of training that not only helps your ear but also begins to develop a practical use for ear training, just the listening part is an important part all on it's own.

8. That site is really good. I'm going to practice reading and hearing for a bit every day one that site.

9. jogguz

jogguz

Oct 12, 2005
    thanks alot for all ur help i'll give it all a try and i'll tell u guys how its going. Thanks again really appreciated

10. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    You should try building a system of songs you can identify intervals with. For instance when someone plays Prim - Minor Tertz i hear the first two notes of Green Sleaves. If someone plays Prim - Major Tertz i hear the "Ahhhh" part of "Twist and Shout" by the Beatles. For Prim - 4 (must be quarter or something in english) I use the chorus part from "My bonnie is over the ocean", you know, "bring back" is a quarter interval.

Just build your own way of remembering the intervals, find your own references and practice them with a friend. Sit down by a piano and take turns at guessing.

That's how I do it.

PS. Please excuse my bad english, I'm in a really bad rush at the moment. :p

11. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    +1

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    By far, bar none, the best method of ear training is transcribing. Nothing else even comes close in terms of effectiveness.

However, there is a problem. To effectively transcribe, you need to already have a foundation in ear training and listening and familiarity with notation and all around competence with such things. In this respect, it's not necessarily accessible to everyone.

That said, it should be a never ending goal to transcribe anything you like. It'll be really really hard at first, but the more you do it the better you'll get, and your ear will improve vastly, and it will actually be PRACTICAL and applicable to REAL music.

Anyone can sing intervals and scales and rhythms, but to HEAR them internally and then be able to know what they are internally and chart them out so that any proficient reader could play it back to you. That's a challenge and a half. But the most rewarding one you could possibly do as far as ear training is concerned.

So, how do you get to that level where you can transcribe things? Well, start with interval recognition. You want to be able to AT LEAST recognize any given interval up and down with 100% accuracy. Once you can do that, then it would be a good idea to learn how to identify different types of Triads. Major, Minor, Diminished, Sus4...etc. Once you are comfortable there, you can move into 7th chords, Maj7, min7, dom7 half-dim7. Once you get comfortable there, you will naturally start hearing extensions (9s 11s 13s)

Alongside that study, you would be well off studying cadences and common chord progressions, to familiarize your ear with voice leading and the likes.

And next to all of that, and probably the most important. Study rhythm!!

It's a lot to study, a lot to learn, but don't be overwhelmed, it's a lifes work, something you can always improve and something that will take a long time to master.

:rolleyes: what a mouthful..