Ear Training

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by steve2, Apr 3, 2002.

1. steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    Can anyone suggest a good book for ear training.

2. I'm not really pointing out a book, but a much cheaper method. Get some songs off the net, with not too complex bass lines and just pick up the bass line. There, instant ear training. I'll try pointing out some good starter songs.

Pixies - Cecilia Ann [Instrumental]

Mercury Rev - Goddess on a highway [Kind of weird rythm]

Pixies - Gigantic [Very good quarter note bassline]

Nick Cave - Do you love me [Kind of walking-ish, but it's a basic riff through the song]

Good luck. :)
  3. I tried the book "Ultimate Ear Training For Guitar And Bass" by Gary Willis. Really works great :)
  4. Therion

Apr 3, 2002
    Go to Garris Willis web site, he has an good one

5. Wow,I was just about to post a thread asking the same thing.I guess ole Stevie beat me to it though!

Good tips guys,I am on my way to those websites now.Hasta!
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have Gary Willis ear training book that is mentioned above. I feel it is an excellent resource. After working your way through it, you will be much better equiped to interpret what you are hearing on CDs and mp3s.

The main reason is that Willis gives you very thorough practice with intervals, than advances to chords and then chord progressions. WIth such a background, much of your guess work and trial and error in listening to music is reduced.
  7. steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    This coming week will be my second bass lesson under this new teacher. He can play any band instrument. I really don't know how good of a bass teacher or player he is but I do know that he plays double bass and electric. I really got him because of his music knowledge. He also told me he did not have a big ego on the bass and he would like to make me better than he was. I have played for several years and I am in my second year as my church bassist. I can read the bass clef just a little. I more or less just figure out the notes. I play about 95 percent by ear but my teacher says that my ear is untrained. This week we are starting in a book by Ed Friedland The working Bassist Tool Kit. It covers a some on ear training. Untill last week I did not even know a scale. So I need to learn some of the basic's. I defiently intrested in the ear training. There is a place at www.activebass.com were you can go through an ear excercise were it plays I think 4 notes and you guess the next note. I do horriable on it. So among other things ear training is one thing that I need to work on.

Thanks for the advice.

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Steve, I had an excellent bass teacher once who was a Nashville pro. One day he came to my house and I was very excited to show him an ear training web site I had found, but I was having a lot of trouble even identifying intervals of root to five and five to root...stuff that should have been easy.

He told me to forget that web site because it was just computer generated tones and that it would be far better to listen to intervals on my own bass or my keyboard, because they were more natural (or some similar word). He pretty much felt that tones from a web site were a waste of time.

I confess I haven't listened to the web site you mentioned so I don't know if the tones more closely represent a real bass, but I really like Gary Willis' method because he starts you out with intervals first, ascending, then descending. I agree with him that you really have to develop an ear for intervals before you can go on to more complex tasks like the one you describe, because intervals are the building blocks of chords and scales.
  9. Jeduardo

Apr 15, 2002
    Hey Steve2

I am a music major here in Texas and I use a software called MacGamut. It's just for overall eartraining, as in not just guitar and bass emphasized, which I STRONGLY recommend. It helps you with intervals, scales, harmonic and melodic dictation. It's kinda tough to start out, but you really start getting the hang of it.

Look into it bro