ear training

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by labrat, May 15, 2003.

1. Quite alot of bassists are not knowledgeable on the subject. Let's hear what everyone has to say on ear training. Do you feel it's necessary? What tips do you have. What sort of practices did you use. I'm curious to hear of others experiences.
  2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I think ear training is an essential skill to learn. If you are in a jamming situation and you can't tell by ear where the other players go next, how will you keep up?

I try to train my ear by singing notes & interval numbers while practicing scales, and picking songs apart by ear.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I personally, train my ear everyday. I practice intervals, scales, and chords. In AP music theory we would do melodic dictation practice as well.

I feel that it is very important, if you are serious about music, and wish to improve your ability to play along with others, as well as your connection with your instrument.

I also believe sight singing to be invaluable to ear-training regime, and another important step towards "oneness" with your instrument.
  4. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    WR has it nailed,"formal" ear-training is invaluable.Melodic,Harmonic and Rhythmic dictation,singing,clapping rhythm's...that with good old fashioned lifting songs by ear,and you're covering a lot of ground.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Though not perfect, www.musictheory.net has some great ear training tools...I say they are not perfect, because the cheap midi sounds, are very different from hearing say a bass or a piano, but, that's not to say you can't learn something from those trainers.

that is if you don't have a friend to help you.

The other thing I practice doing, is singing my solos, and every thing I play, really. again helps me find that connection to the bass, that I find helps my ear greatly.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Can't get out of music school without it ! When I was in college
    we took ear training for 6 semesters and then had to pass a proficiency test before we could graduate !