Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ear wax removal

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by banditcosmo, May 24, 2003.

1. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I went to my primary doctor to get the wax cleaned out of my ears. He used pressured water and some kind of long metal pointed instrument.The doctor ended up badly inflaming my eardrums so now I can barely hear at all. Everything sounds like it's coming thru a tiny transistor radio with a blow speaker. Low frequencies distort and I have have a terrible loud ringing in my head. When I talk everything I say booms loudly inside my head and distorts so I have to whisper. I can't play my bass or listen to music and I can barely hear my TV turned way up. I went to an ear doctor and he said there was nothing he could do so I just will have to wait up to a couple of weeks for my earsdrums to heal.

The ear doctor said the other doctor should not have cleaned my ears the way he did. Ear doctors have a special vacumm tool for getting wax out that does not damage the eardrum.

So I just wanted to let everyone know about this.
    Don't let your normal doctor clean the wax from your ears. Go to an ear, nose and throat doctor. Believe me you don't want to go thru what I'm going thru right now.

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I clean the wax from my own ears.

Right out of the shower, when the wax is still a bit gooey, I use a cotton swab and a gentle circular/twisting motion, going into the ear.

Sorry about your situation, man. Have you been told that your condition is now a permanent one? If it is, you may want to consider contacting an attorney (even if it isn't permanent, you may want to contact one). Although, getting that second doctor to say the first one screwed up, when attorneys and lawsuits are concerned, may be a tall order.

Good luck!

3. q-tips.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Seriously, if a doctor ****ed up my hearing permanently, I would sue the pants of him.

what if he ruptured something.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I used to do this until my doctor told me that I was actually pushing some wax further into the ear and compacting it. We had a hell of a time getting it out and my story resembles banditcosmo's.

I've taken to using a product called Waxol. It's an ear drop that disapates ear wax without inflamong your ear drums. It's works a treat. I use it nonce every 3 or 4 months and that's enough to keep my ears wax free. Since I started using earplugs I only need it every 6 months.

6. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA

Thank you very much for the warning!!! I was thinking of having that done in a week or 2.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Cripe! Where are you people getting all this sebum in your ears? I clean my own with a Q-tip, and I'm surprised every couple of weeks when there's a little wax in there. Otherwise, the Q-tip comes out clean. I must be done.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm a wog. We sweat more, we get ear wax, but we take longer to get sunburn. Fair trade.......

9. [mr. burns] you dont have to sue me to get my pants off;) [/mr. burns]

10. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I should sue. My hearing has not improved at all and now I'm starting to have bad anxiety attacks because my ears won't clear up. I keep trying to yawn to open them up but no luck. I drove up to the the mountains today to see if that would help but no change at all (I was hoping I could pop them open). I'm now hearing my heart beat and my breathing thru my ears and this constant ringing really is driving me nuts.
    These anxiety attacks really suck. I've never really had them before and it's really screwing with me. I'm having trouble sleeping, concentrating, doing much of anything. I keep feeling really anxious because I want my ears cleared up so badly.I feel like my head is boxed in.

I'm alwaying buying new stuff to improve my sound and ignore the most important instrument I have, my ears. I know one thing I'm always going to wear earplugs around loud music from now on.

11. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Go to an ENT as soon as possible! Don't wait to "let it clear up on it's own". Get it taken care of!

12. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I hope you can get your hearing back to normal as soon as possible, banditcosmo.

I've had good luck with hollow paraffin ear candles (available at many health-food stores). It sounds weird but you insert these candles into your ears, and light the other end. The candle creates heat and suction that gently pulls the accumulated funk out of your ear canals. They really helped me after I got a bunch of sand in my ears while body surfing. Just be sure to have someone help you so you don't set your hair on fire!

13. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    imagine that, a candle in each ear and 6 foot flames leaping from your hair. cause of death......stupidity.

Id have to be very drunk or unconscious for someone to stick anything in my ears.

14. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Wow, that sucks, I'm sorry to hear that.
    I've had ear hydrocleaning done at the doctor's office in both ears, two times, and each time it only improved my hearing. But that's scary, I guess I'll have to find an ENT next time.

15. odie

odie Supporting Member

Whats a WOG?

16. I got the water/suction cleaning done a while ago at an ENT and it was really cool. I felt like I had super-hearing right afterwards. I couldn't believe what a difference it made. They said it's something you should have done once a year, like a dental cleaning...and they told me the same thing about the Q-tips--it might seem like they help but they're probably just making the situation worse. Ear canals are much deeper than most people realize...that wax can get crammed in really far and you'll never know it.

17. I know this is a bit off subject, but just to relate..... about a year ago while I was playing with my last band at our resident gig at which we played 4 nights a week every week of the year, I woke up one morning and my face didn't feel right. I went to the doctor and discovered that I had gotten Bell's Palsey, which is when a nerve that runs through a tiny hole in the back of your skull becomes inflamed, and deadends all activity in one side of your face. Well, the right side of my face was completely paralyzed. Not only did I HAVE to be on stage every night, but the muscles in my right ear were dead too so everything was super loud. I had to wear one earplug and I couldn't sing because half of my mouth didn't work. I was very depressed. Luckily it went away in just two weeks and I got the girl!! I looked like this when I smiled-->:meh:

18. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I read an article in Time about how this was a big scam. According to the article, "coning", as it's called, can't produce nearly enough suction to actually pull gunk out of an ear. They did tests, blah, it didn't work. The people who sell the stuff claim that if you cut it open, you can see the wax inside the candle, but this, according to Time, was just wax from the candle. Again, this is all just according to an article.

I assumed he meant as Australian person (as he's from Australia), but I could be wrong.

19. dmunsie

dmunsie

May 26, 2003
    Dude,

your ear drum could be ruptured, torn, inverted, etc. If it is inverted, gently hold your nose and ever so softly try to blow air out your nose, in effect trying to pop/push your ear drum back into position. HOWEVER, ignore this and get your bASS into a ENT Doctor right now! This is serious stuff. I've had my ears plugged before due to pushing ear wax deeper into my ears with QTips. You hear your heart beat, your voice is loud as hell, it can drive you crazy quickly!!!

REPEAT - get off the computer and go to a frickin emergency room or something....NOW!!!!

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    banditcosmo - I'll reiterate what has been said a few times:

GET YOUR bASS TO AN E/N/T DOC POST HASTE!!!

...then once you clear it up, and for everyone else:

Do not use a q-tip for cleaning your ear wax out, as Petebass pointed out, it will only serve to push the stuff further into your ear over time. You will get a bit out, feel you've accomplished something, but a bit will also get pushed in, and after a while...

I use Murine Ear Wax Remover, comes in a little kit you buy at your local drugstore, a little squeeze bottle and a gizmo for flushing the stuff out of your ear. Works like a charm, use it every few months, and it knocks the stuff right out of my ear.