Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Earl Harvin Trio

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, May 21, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Anybody heard these guys? Awesome band. I've been a fan of Earl Harvin (a drummer) for years, and just picked up his "Unincorporated" CD. Wow! Groovy, jammy, jazz with a twist.

Fred Hamilton plays electric and upright bass, and he smokes. Interestingly enough, he is actually a guitar player and teaches guitar at the University of North Texas. Who knew that guitar players could actually groove?

I will definitely pick up some more of his disks when I get to Dallas next week. It's pretty hard finding his music in New Orleans.:rolleyes:

2. I haven't seen his Trio -- I really need to get out more -- but in my book, Earl Harvin is the BEST drummer in Texas. Ah, how fondly I remember the days hanging out at the Cannibal Club in Austin, checking out Earl from sidestage as he jammed with the incomparable Ten Hands!

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Ahhh the good old days.

Earl played in a local band that everybody thought would be the next big thing. They were called Ten Hands. The name made sense when there were five members. Then the auxiliary percussionist left to form Billygoat, and got signed. Then he lured Earl away to Billygoat and Ten Hands was never as good again.