Early 18th birthday present for myself.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Not Mark Westlake, Dec 23, 2004.

1. First thread in here about a bass I've bought, so here goes...

Cort Artisan A6, in my hands. First ever six-string. Way happy. There's just so much more stuff to learn now! I'm still having to re-learn the muscle memory in my hands which are calibrated for a 4-string, so the 6-er's taking some learning, but it's all in the name of fun.

Figured maple wings, maple and African wenge through-neck, Bartolini Mk.1 pickups & pre-amp, Hipshot tuners, etc.

Got it for £699 (reduced from £799) from the lovely people at Cranes in Cardiff, who even moved a portable radiator into a demo room for me in case it was cold when I got there to try it out :p

Been waiting for over half a year for a 6-string, so I'm pretty pleased now it's here :)
  2. That looks really nice. Very nice woods and it looks like great quality. Nice score man!
  3. Great work!

That's a sweet looking bass :D :bassist:

4. Thanks :)

There was a limited edition oil-rubbed finish version there, which looked utterly amazing. Imagine mine, but sans the glossy finish, and with all the wood a slightly darker tone and the grain highlighted more. The only problem was that there were about 2 or 3 complete dead-spots on the neck.

Either way, I'm happy with what I got :)
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Cool bass. I think teh Artisan B4 is cool as well.

Whats the main differences in the A nd B series , besides woods?
  6. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    sounds like you got a great deal considering the features. especially the neck-through aspect.
  7. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Great bass! No wonder you're so happy. The specs are quite tasty (bart pup--yeah).
    Enjoy your new ranges!
  8. The A's are through-neck, and the B's are bolt-on. Didn't know up until now - when you asked, I checked out the Cort site and that seems to be the main difference. EDIT - and different body-woods too. In the B-series, swamp ash for the fretted and mahogany for the fretless.

The new ranges are pretty interesting! Just trying to work out new chord voicings without being "limited" (apostrophes just 'cos some people can, have, and will do amazing things on 4-string basses with chordal approaches and so on) to having just the 3 or 4 strings to use. I've gotta relearn how to pinch harmonic with tiny string spacings, but aside from that I'm just taking it all in at the moment.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ^ Ah i see , cool. The B4 is quite an attractive bass for the price. It can be had new for $399 and has a wenge neck and the bart mk-1 pups. If i knew about that a year ago i might have bought that; im a sucker for wenge necks.
  10. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Congrats man,

that is a sweet looking bass.
  11. Yeah, finally got something to try and beat the looks of my guitarist's custom Jackson (Oh, and his main guitar - Ibanez JEM)...

12. gah!! my eyes!!! my eyes!!!

j/k nice bass :D
  13. Or do you mean nice guitar? :D

Very nice sixer - obviously the woods and construction look great, but check out the Ultralite tuners! It's little touches like that which tell you that little bit of extra attention has gone into it.

BTW - I noticed the battery compartment says Fishman. Does it have a piezo pickup too?
  14. raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    That is a beautiful looking bass man :)
  15. Nah, no Piezo, just a Fishman compartment I guess.

Gotten used to it pretty quickly, which is nice. Sucks that I've now got to buy a new tuner (chromatic, only got a standard EADGBE-style one at the moment). But yeah, having a lot of fun. Also, my initially sceptical "Why do you need to spend that much on a bass?" family are turned to it now that they've seen it in the flesh :)

Thanks for all the comments, and sorry for the bump - was just answering "Therealting".
  16. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Nice bass! I've never even been anywhere near a 5 string, though I'd like to. In November I'm thinking of gettng a Carvin LB70p, and in the meantime I'm thinking of building a bass. I'm no luthier, but I know a bit about woodwork and sound properies, and alot about electronics. I was thinking along the lines of a 5 string P if I'm feeling adventurous, but 6 string would be way too much bass for me to handle!
    Cranes is an awesome shop. Bit cramped though :smug: Almost bought a fretless Vintage in there...