Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Early 1990's Stingray Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by register, Mar 28, 2003.

1. register

register

Mar 31, 2002
    Boston
    Again, asking a question to find out if I'm looking at a Japanese imitation Stingray or the real thing. Based on research, it's a 1990~1994 EB Stingray. If anybody has one from that time period, I'd appreciate it if they could describe the neck (skunk stripe? Lacquered or not? 6-bolt or 4 bolt? Truss rod adjustor at headstock or body?). Also any info on color, electronics, bridge design (this one looks like a new bridge, but with 4 holes under the strings where string mutes on the old ones used to be. Thanks!

2. register

register

Mar 31, 2002
    Boston
    Just wondering!

3. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I'll see if I cant help you out here.
    I own a 91 Ray..

There is no skunk stripe and the truss rod adjustment is at the body. The early to mid 90's ones came with the really nice birdseye maple necks..All the new ones I've seen dont have this. The finish is a gun stock oiled finish..Mine after the years has gotten a high gloss to it from the oils in my hands..

I think the electronics are the same except for some older ones may have Alnico pickups as opposed to the Ceramics that are in the new ones..I know the 70's models have Alnico..Alnico is much smoother than the newer ones in my opinion.

The bridges on the older style have string mutes..Those 4 holes are where the mutes would go..I like them better with the mutes because its more "retro" looking.

The neck on all of the early 90's EB's is 6 bolt.

As for color, I think you're pretty much set to standards..Black, Red, Clear, Burst, etc..

I think thats about it...

Thanks
    Tommy

4. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Mine is a '94.
    no skunk stripe, no Lacquer (wax and oil finish) 6-bolt,Truss rod adjuster at body (wheel), but you should know that earlier EB models had lackered necks, skunk stripes, trussrod access at the headstock and 4 bolts. If you want more info go to The DudePit MusicMan forum.
    Post a pic if you have one, but everything sounds OK to me in those specs for an early 90's.

keep groooovin'
    Fran