1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Early 50s upright bass amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by summeralligator, May 15, 2018.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Pretty much the same, except they adapted to amps and pickups a little quicker than the jazz players. But not by much.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    sorry, you guys misunderstand; i meant that the tube guitar amps sounded better for guitar the more they got cranked up, leading to overall band volumes rising as the rest of the players tried to keep up.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i remember reading an interview in the last ten years or so with a heavyweight who played with wynton marsalis (christian mcbride maybe? somebody like that) talking about wynton in his retro obsessiveness doing shows where he insisted on no amplification of any kind for the upright. the bass player said he had to play so hard to get anywhere that he soon quit the tour to avoid physical injury.

Garret Graves likes this.
  4. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    well..as you say.."according to me"....the western electric 639 B would do 40 hz to 10000 hz..so it was a better mic than the two I mentioned..the western electrics were hybrid mics..having both a dynamic moving coil and a ribbon element..the ones I mentioned were ribbon only..so heavy sound pressure level of low frequency could damage the ribbon element..in 1949..western electric discontinued producing the mic..and the rights for producing the mic..along with the technical specs went to altec lansing..who continued manufacturing the mic with the same model number but improved frequency response..but now had the altec logo on the mics..not sure how long altec continued with these mics..didnt research it any further..