early 60's B-15N and active bass question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Abluesbassist, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Hey guys i'm thinking on buying a early 60 b15 portaflex and was wonder if it will be able to handle my active Flea bass or will it distort. also i am getting a active semihollow six sting and want to use it witht he b15 as well. i don't plan on giging with the b15 but i will be recording with it. so any one have any experince with active basses and old b15's let me know. thanx
  2. All you have to do is turn down the output of the bass.
  3. ...or not turn the amp up as much as you would with a passive bass. Turning down the bass' volume knob might cut your high end, and once it goes on tape it'll stay that way forever.
  4. There's a gain stage before the volume pot in the B15N, so it is theoretically possible to still overdrive the first gain stage even if the amp volume knob is turned all the way down. Lowering the level coming from the bass is the only way to prevent that. You're right about possibly affecting the high end output when turning down the bass volume, but we're talking about a bass amp from the 1960's.:D It won't be a big deal and will probably sound better.

5. You think the pre-amp in a Flea bass would do that :confused: