Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Early 80's schecter P-bass pickup.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 74rickbass, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Wow, what a monster. It has *6* wires coming from this thing. What could these wires do?! I know alot of humbuckers have 4 wires for series/parrallel switching... but 6?? The way I see it, is it has 3 wires from each coil Because the jazz bass pickup that was in the same bass, has 3 wires from it.

I'm so confused, anybody know which wires are what?

2. mrphattay

mrphattay Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2005
    I don't know if this is of help..but here goes.

1.- I have a 70's (I think), Spl. Parts Schecter "P" w. Ambuyi Body & Rosewood Neck, RW Fretboard w. Maple dots & Skunk stripe. (The Neg. Fender Neck.)
    I mention the Bass specifics, because perhaps someone out there can date it using the information. Doing so might nail-down if the attached photos will be of help to you.)
    Bass is Passive. Vol.-Tone (w. P/P), AB pot switches

2.- I'm no techie..infact I'm inept when it comes to this stuff, so this is the extent of my aid. But perhaps the posted pictures will help you or/ someone else to decipher the wiring. Sorry I can't be of more assistance. I hope this helps.

3. Yup! thats the excact pickup I'm talking about. The wires are the same colors and everything. Its a pretty good sounding pickup too dont you think?

I thought mine was a parts bass, but it has a serial #. Wouldnt that mean its not a parts bass?

Anyways, thanks for the info! So, can someone maybe by looking at the pics tell me what each wire does?

4. mrphattay

mrphattay Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2005
    It's my understanding, that in the early years, Schecter was strictly a Specialty Parts Shop. Later on, they sold complete Basses under their Name. I'm not sure when this started, but perhaps you have an early one...w. serial number.
    Mine has none, but has the Schecter Name Branded on the Neck & Body, decaled on the PUs. (see photos for comparison.)
    BTW- I agree. The PUs sound great.
    I think I'm tapped out now. All the Best.

5. My neck is branded the same way, and my body has schecter name engraved in the jazz bass pickup cavity. (its a p/j)