Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Early 90s Fender Jazz Bass Plus V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whacker, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Sorry for yet another Fender thread, but you older timers might dig on this.

I've got the aforementioned bass, and haven't used it in quite a while (normally play my SR 5), but got it out of the closet recently, thinking that it might be interesting to see if I could get that "Fender" sound out of it, and perhaps incorporate it into something gig-wise .

After plugging in and trying a few things out on it, I realized why I hadn't played it for so long: It doesn't sound like any Fender I'd really like to present to the public! Good strings, battery, etc.. For those unfamiliar with this instrument, it's got Fender-Lace Sensors (pickups), active EQ, great hardware, downsized body; all in all, a nice bass. But not a good sound.

My question therefore is, is anyone familiar with this model and its shortcomings, and has anyone tried changing pickups or anything else with it to try and improve its sound? If I tried changing pickups, would it be better to scrap the onboard active EQ and take it passive (I know, subjective call, but...). I'd like to make it usable, but as it is now, it's a dog :bawl:!
    (By the way, I tried a search on this model but couldn't really come up with anything. Apparently not too popular.)

Thanks for any advice.

Whacker

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like mine just the way it is. I like the electronics setting between passive and full active, with the pickups rolled almost all the way to the bridge. I get a growly but warm J sound with it set like that.

[​IMG]

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a cheapo P copy that I built from parts. One of those parts is a Fender Lace Sensor pickup. My P copy sounds -fantastic-. I believe that your bass has a lot of potential. Fender Lace Sensor pickups are IMO very damn good pickups. I would not blame the pickups. If I were in your shoes the first thing I would do is yank the active EQ and try the bass passive. If that doesn't work, maybe add a better active EQ?

This could be totally wrong..... :

I remember reading that those Fenders with the Kubicki EQ are extremely varied. Some of them have the real Kubicki EQ and sound awesome. Some have a fender redesign of the Kubicki EQ that sounds like dogmeat.

Munjibunga, that is a beautiful bass! :)

4. Hey guys -- thanks for the responses!

Munji, I love that 3-tone sunburst! I wish mine had that finish. I've got an all black one.

I think Philbiker might be on to something with trying to troubleshoot the onboard electronics. I may make a project out of trying something else in there. My electronics are even a bit on the noisy side, especially with the treble turned up to around 3/4 full. Hardly any noise in passive mode. So that might be part of the problem. They are nice looking and playing instruments. I just have a few quirks to straighten out.

I once saw a post (maybe here at TB) from a guy who had Kubicki active electronics sets for sale (NOS, you might say). I wonder if he's still around. There are a few other ways to go with that element of the equation. Maybe even just a good visual inspection of the current circuitry could reveal a problem.

But thanks again. Munji, I'm gonna hit you up with some Eden questions one of these days!

5. Hey Dude I have a blueish grey Fender Jazz Deluxe,but mine is a 4 though not a 5. I think it is a 92 but I love it to death!!!! I cant believe that ya cant get a great sound out of it......Did ya try adjusting the little set screw in the back I did that and man oh man sounds great I love the pick-ups they are real HOT!!!! I get a great Low end and growling sound which I like..I play it through a SVT 4 Pro Nitebass FX Module and 2 810's..Bottom Line I wouldn't trade this bass off for nothing..I hope ya find ur tone dude...If ya want rid of it I may be interested........:bassist:

6. I was fortunate enough to snatch up a 5-string off Craigslist yesterday for $350. The dude who owned it before swapped out the Laces and Kubicki EQ for EMGs and I think it sounds great like that. Granted, I have yet to hear with the Laces and Kubicki, but...

7. perkidan

perkidan

Sep 13, 2000
    Augusta, ky
    My first 5 string was a jazz plus. Was the biggest dog I ever owned. PLayed against other passive fenders it had about half the output. I sent it back to Fender and they said there was nothing wrong with it. Traded for something else. Glad other people enjoy them but that one left a bad taste in my mouth for Fender.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Jazz Deluxe Plus (what we're talking about here) is an active bass with a switch for passive. It's not the same bass you describe. It has a pretty hot output.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 LET'S GO BLUE JAYS...(in 2016)...LET'S GO!!

I used to gig 2 of these for a couple of years. A 1997 in seafoam green and a 1992 blueburst.

Good basses, but I got bored of the tone. I didn't find that they cut as well as other Jazz basses I owned.

10. Boogiedude

Boogiedude

Mar 1, 2010
    I have the Jazz plus V circa 1990. I concluded that the Lace pickups were way too hot. It the only bass I've ever played that had would squeal when I got in front of my amp. So I started by putting in Bartolini pickups. Gave me a much warmer sound, and no more feedback. I added a Bartolini preamp to complete the makeover. It's my main bass now. I can dial in just about any sound I need with this set up. But the pickups were the major factor in getting the sound I wanted out of it.

11. I bought mine new around Christmas, 1991. I started playing 5 string a year earlier ( I had an early version of an Ibanez SR 5 string) but I wanted a Fender! I sold that Ibanez and saved my money and it was the first time I walked into Sam Ash and paid cash on the spot for a new instrument ($800 with HSC) The floor model was "blue sunburst" and a bit dinged up so I asked the sales guy for a discount. He said he couldn't do that but he had a new one downstairs. He brought it up and it was still wrapped in plastic. They called it "Black Sunburst."

Soon after I got it, the "honeymoon" period wore off. I realized that it's not a "true" jazz bass. The body's smaller, the passive/active system is not what you usually saw in a Jazz bass and the knobs were straight in a row, not slanted. Didn't have the classic Jazz bass look at all. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford anything else during that time so it was my main bass for 10 years. I've pretty much retired mine now but I'll always hold on to it because of lots of sentimental value. This is the bass I used all through my Berkee years and I gigged and recorded with it a lot around the world. I mostly used it in passive mode. The 2 active settings didn't do it for me. The bass was very light and I always loved its thin neck; almost like a Geddy Lee neck profile in a 5 string.

12. i miss my sea foam green jazz plus 5 string.

13. It would have helped if I uploaded a photo correctly!

Attached Files:

14. BEADG69

BEADG69

Nov 24, 2009
    Braceville,IL
    I own that exact same bass as Bassnyc1. Was the first one I owned. Doesn't see the light very much, but I like playing it when I do get around to it. I swapped out the p/u years ago for EMGs, but eventually pulled those and put the Lace Sensors back in. I like the neck profile. Just didn't care for the low B. I play an Ibanez BTB now and like the tighter sound on the B.

15. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Whoa -- this thread has been pulled from several different crypts! :bag:

IMO, that's not necessarily a BAD thing but still -- this thread has mold growing on it!

16. JoeBassFJBV

JoeBassFJBV

Sep 27, 2012
    I know this is an old thread but just wanted to post my results of moding this Bass. I have owned this beautiful Bass (Blue Burst) since new, picked it up in 1991, I never liked the Kubicki electronics, they always sounded dead and had no bite to it (all these years I didn't know if it was the Kubicki elecs or the Lace Sensors that were the problem) anyway after several years trying to figure out what to do I found the Lace Sensor schematic for a completely (original Jazz Bass) passive system so I decided to pull the Crap Kubicki elecs and rewired (New 250k Pots & .22mf cap). After pulling the Kubicki elecs I tested the Laces direct and man they sounded good so I was confident once I did the rewiring that they would sound good but once I was done man what a difference, this bass now sounds like a normal great sounding Jazz Bass with super bite, it just sounds great and I wish I had done this to this gorgeous Bass many years ago. Below link to schematic, took me about 2 hours to complete.

http://www.lacemusic.com/pdf/8.pdf