1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Early '90's Peavey forum P/J pickups and pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowendblues, Dec 30, 2012.

1. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I'm building a Fender clone P/J using Peavey forum pickups and pots.

I picked a trashed early '90's Peavey forum and scavenged the keys, pickups and electronics, and am going to use them in my P/J build, but really dont know what I have here.

The Pbass pickup looks pretty standard, but the Jazz pickup is actually a split design housed in a Jazz cover. They sounded great on the Forum bass but the neck had a busted truss rod, and was hopelessly warped

Are they both humbuckers? are the pots 500K?

One of the pots is scratchy and I want to replace it, or maybe go with Volume/tone concentrics.

Any info out there on these pickups/electronics? Or any suggestions on replacing the pots?

2. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    If the Jazz is an inline split-coil, then, yes, it's a humbucker and it's probably already wired that way internally - looking from the "outside" you should only have two wires coming from it, the hot and the ground. The Precision is always wired as a humbucker as a standard.

As for the pots, check them for markings that look like L###K. The first letter L is the taper, or behavior of the pot throughout its travel (A is logarithmic, B is linear), the number is the value and the last letter is always K for kilo-ohms. Alternately, just measure the resistance between the two outer lugs using a DMM, that gives you the value.