Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

early 90s pre-string through body USA Jazz Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by High Class Slim, Mar 7, 2003.

1. High Class Slim

High Class Slim

Mar 7, 2003
    I have what I think is a '92 or '93 tri-color sunburst USA Jazz which I bought new. I like it and was keeping it around because I don't like to sell stuff and may actually try to get a bass gig. It hasn't been played much at all as I've been moving around and have taken up the guitar the past three years. But I still love playing bass!

Anyway, a friend made me a very good offer on it ($900--in Europe) and I'm not sure whether to take it. My question is whether these pre-string through body USA Standard Jazzes are seen as particularly desirable (and hence are more valuable) since the model has changed and they don't really make exactly the same thing anymore in the USA under the same moniker? Or should I just take the cash and buy myself another one for cheaper? I was thinking I could get a similar vintage on my next trip to the states for $450-500. I poked around evilbay looking for price info but couldn't find something similar of this vintage.

Other questions I was hoping to get some info on:

1) What's the skinny on the string-through-body thing? I guess it must generally be seen as a good thing, as Fender has been making them like that since around '95 as far as I can tell?

2) Otherwise, it's in near-mint conditiosn and the only fault I find with the bass is a dime-width gap in the neck joint--is this normal?

3) Apparently there were different upper horn sizes and number of frets? I think mine has 22 frets with the really big horn, but I can't check as I gave it to this friend to mess around with.

4) What kind of wood do you think it is? Swamp ash or alder?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I really need help determining if this type of bass is common enough to allow selling it or whether its sufficiently rare to merit holding on to it. I like it but could use the cash right now. Thanks very much for your help!
    ;)

2. I have a couple of old Fender catalogues- alder or poplar. I'd guess alder would be used for the sunburst finish.

I have a US Precision Plus bass from 92' with a swamp ash body. I think they offered the Jazz plus in swamp ash but not the jazz standard.

3. High Class Slim

High Class Slim

Mar 7, 2003
    Turtle--many thanks for the info!

4. For a lot of people, the early 90s USA's are less desirable, simply because of the weird extended horn and the extra fret. I dunno if they'll ever be collectible or more valuable than they are now.

5. High Class Slim

High Class Slim

Mar 7, 2003
    Many thanks for the comments. I told him I'd take the offer and we're discussing it. Thanks again...