1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

early 90's stingrays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Elionjamz, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Elionjamz

Elionjamz Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I am thinking about tading my Warwick FNA 5 for a 93 stingray. I am just curious if any you guys out there know anything about the early 90's stingrays, and if you think I should go for the trade!

Thanks!!!!
    Eli

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    StingRay's quality has been consistent ever since 1985, and even before.

There are no special "better" years or models, etc.

Some '90s and early 2000s StingRays might have birdseye maple fretboards, which are discontinued now (only plain maple). But other than that. . .

I once traded two Warwicks (Thumb BO and Streamer LX) for two StingRays. Work out OK.

3. a stingray is a stingray if you ask me. Some of the early 90s I have played have been heavier than the later ones though. If I were shopping for one, my preference would be one with a birdseye maple neck/fingerboard.

Another thing to keep in mind, I once had a stingray 5 that had a heavy lacquer finish on the neck instead of the oil finish they have now. I don't know what year it was from since I bought it used. I just know I was surprised when I received it.

4. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Go for it. As others have said, the quality has been pretty consistent. If the bass is in good shape, you should be happy.

5. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    Easy, if you like the MM better, than go for it. If not, keep the Warwick. I wouldn't, but that's me. But I will say MM basses are excellent basses.

6. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    I have a 95 Stingray 5 and the only difference from a newer one is mine has the chrome steel battery cover instead of the plastic quick change ones.

7. Bill G.

Bill G.

Dec 2, 2005
    Baton Rouge
    Yep, what the other folks said. I have a 2005 Stingray & a 1995 Stingray. Both are equally great in quality, but the '95 has the bigger bridge with mutes, the chrome battery cover, and a drop-dead gorgeous birdseye maple neck.

8. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Senior Product Manager, Akai Professional
    I've owned an '80, 2003, and still own a '93.

the advantages an early 90s one will have are as follows, IMHO:

1. bridge mutes (dont know when this stopped)
    2. better bridge design (strings arent bent on an angle across the saddle).
    3. 6 bolt neck joint
    4. birdseye maple neck / fingerboards
    5. gunstock oil finish on the neck (newer ones have satin laquer)

one disadvantage to me is the early 90's ones still have the grounding issues their 70's - 80's brothers have. that seemed to have been solved on the newer ones. probably could be fixed by sheilding, but I havent tried it yet.

hope that helps.

9. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    New Musicman basses still use gunstock oil/wax finish

10. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I've had dozens of Stingrays from a '76 up to my '06 30th Anniv and none of mine have ever had a grounding issue. On the earliest years, the jack left the circuit "on" which would run the 9v battery out over time. Replacing with a new jack fixes that issue.