Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Early demise of unfinished Basses, fact or fiction?.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 3, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Hello Friends

I recently broght My Warwick Infinity http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=890 for some work at a local guitar tech and he told me not to get attached to it because without a hard finish on the bass i wouldent have this bass for long.The bass is in good condition and it is at 5 years old but this tech believes it is crucial for a finish on basses, he even offered to do it for me.What do you all think on the matter?.

2. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Opinions are like ***holes, this guys included.

My guitar teacher had a Strat that he stripped and played for 25+ years like that.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Depending on wood, hand rub oil stain.

4. MAJOR METAL

I think their is some kind of oil on my warwick, i know it isint raw wood.

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    An oil finish will protect the wood for a long time if properly cared for.

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    there IS definately an oil finish on the warwick. Aren't you supposed to wax it over ever so often? But yeah if he is trying to sucker you into glossing it over tell him to shove it!

7. First off nice bass!

Second, if the oil finish is properly cared for you shouldn't have any problems. A hard finish does protect better, but if you keep the oil finish maintained properly there shouldn't be any problem.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Keep a good coat of the Warwick beeswax on it (about once every 6 months or so) and it'll be fine as long as you own it.

Tell the "tech" that's blowing this smoke up your @$$ to try and scam someone else with his horsecrap.

:mad:

:spit:

9. MAJOR METAL

Thanks, their a rare bird i think i will hold on to it.

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    An oil finish can be a very beautiful thing. I have a custom built 6 string that is walnut and maple with an oil finish. The oil finish feels and looks nice. I would never trade it for a hard finish. The instrument would simply not be the same. Take good care of your beauty and she will serve you for many many years to come.

11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Warwick buyers never seemed to argue about that particular problem, waxing the bass when you feel the wood dry keeps the wood fine, but if you dont...

[​IMG]

i like the infinitys a lot but i havent been able to try one, hows the slap tone on those?

12. MAJOR METAL

Can those black spots be fixed up?, the bass has alot of mids but i think the spacing would be to narrow for slap well for me anyway.

13. stamman5

stamman5

Aug 10, 2004
    Boston
    I had a Warwick I got used that had some of the black spots on it. I took it to a local guy in Indianapolis and when I got it back I almost couldn't tell they had ever been there, so the answer to your question is yes they can be taken out, not perfectly, but pretty well. In my experience that is. :hyper:

14. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    I prefer oil finishes sometimes. They don't show any fingerprints, and they also don't show dents and scratches as bad as a hard finish does. Some people will actually argue that basses with an oil finish sound better than basses with a hard finish.

Look at it this way; Basses with oil finishes will get those grey spots if used alot and basses with hard finishes will get scratched up like hell if they are used alot. If you use any bass alot it will show signs of wear no matter what.
    :bassist:

Congrats thats a nice bass

15. MAJOR METAL

How do you get them out?

16. You can sand those dark spots out with real fine sand paper. Then go over it with 0000 steel wool until the wood shines. Then rub some fresh oil into it, steel wool again, and apply wax.

That's the advantage of an oil finish. I bet if you contact Warwick they'll even tell you what kind of oil to use.

People have been using oil finishes on wood for a VERY long time.

Putting a hard finish on an Infinity would probably ruin it's resale value. Those are sweet basses!

17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Boiled linseed oil makes the wenge and purpleheart on my conklin look amazing!

18. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia

It'll probably have to be sanded out (depending on how deeply it has been absorbed into the grain). It's actually dirt/grime that's been gotten into the grain of the wood. First, try using some wood cleaner on the area. It'll remove the wax and hopefully the stain(s). If not, I'd start with around 400 grit and work my way up to around 1500-2000 grit (or maybe 0000 steel wool). You have to be careful not sand too hard in one area or you'll develop a low spot in the wood. If the stain is fairly deep in the grain you'll need to blend the the sanding over a larger area. Once the stain is removed, apply some beeswax/carnauba wax on the area and after it dries buff it out. Repeat until it blends in well with the other surface area. Mylands makes an excellent beeswax/carnauba wax and I've also heard that brywax is an excellent product. They are both essentially the same type wax.
    For what it's worth, I actually prefer an oil or wax finish. Much easier to touch up should you get a scratch and IMO they just have a classy look.

19. MAJOR METAL

Are the warwicks coated in a oil?