Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

early G&L bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tightbidness, Jun 13, 2005.

1. This weekend I saw a really cool old G&L bass. It reminded me a bit of an early Fender Precision, because it had a blonde slab body and a maple fretboard. The pickups looked to be Jazz Bass-style. No pickguard. The body shape was quite elegant -- like a dinky Precision with more offset cutaways -- and so was the headstock. Does anyone know what model it is? Are these good basses? I tried some searching, but G&L didn't yield any matches.

Thanks,
    Seth

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
  3. Could be either an El Toro or and old SB-2.

4. Thanks guys, you rock. It was an SB-2, similar to this:

[​IMG]

All but one of the HC reviews is for a newer version of that model (P/J configuration). fenderjazz68, is the SB-2 listed in your profile in the old or new style? BTW, the Leo Fender quote in your sig. is quite a testimony to G&L.

5. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    If you like the "wood" sound, that is one killer bass. Put on the TI Flats, play with a pick and drool all over yourself!

[​IMG]

6. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    The SB-2 is an awesome bass!

7. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    woody tone is right on as well as loads of clarity. They sound fantastic.

[​IMG]

8. New style, but I wouldn't mind an old style also.

9. Nice basses. Thanks for sharing them. The black and chrome knobs are so cool.

What is the fair market value of an original SB-2?

According to this site the SB-2 has a 1 11/16" nut width. What is the neck profile like?

10. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I haven't checked out the necks on a ton of basses, but I'm pretty sure mine is pretty close to a P neck. It is 1-11/16" wide at the nut.

You can probably find one around $300-500 if you're patient. I've seen a few priced pretty high on EvilBay, but I didn't pay attention to whether they had bids or not. I got mine for $300.00 cuz it's ulgieeeee... Someone along the way did a shoddy paint job on it. Fortunately they left the neck alone!!

[​IMG]

11. Thanks Wademeister63. There's an SB-2 on eBay right now actually. I kind of dig the color of your bass, though I guess it's hard to get a sense of the quality of the paint job from a Web pic. The headstock looks great. I love when guitar and bass finishes start to check/craze like that.