1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

early G&L bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tightbidness, Jun 13, 2005.

1. This weekend I saw a really cool old G&L bass. It reminded me a bit of an early Fender Precision, because it had a blonde slab body and a maple fretboard. The pickups looked to be Jazz Bass-style. No pickguard. The body shape was quite elegant -- like a dinky Precision with more offset cutaways -- and so was the headstock. Does anyone know what model it is? Are these good basses? I tried some searching, but G&L didn't yield any matches.

Thanks,
    Seth

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
  3. Could be either an El Toro or and old SB-2.

4. Check reviews here.

Link

5. Thanks guys, you rock. It was an SB-2, similar to this:

[​IMG]

All but one of the HC reviews is for a newer version of that model (P/J configuration). fenderjazz68, is the SB-2 listed in your profile in the old or new style? BTW, the Leo Fender quote in your sig. is quite a testimony to G&L.

6. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    If you like the "wood" sound, that is one killer bass. Put on the TI flats, play with a pick and drool all over yourself!

[​IMG]

7. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    The SB-2 is an awesome bass!

8. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    woody tone is right on as well as loads of clarity. They sound fantastic.

[​IMG]

9. New style, but I wouldn't mind an old style also.

10. Nice basses. Thanks for sharing them. The black and chrome knobs are so cool.

What is the fair market value of an original SB-2?

According to this site the SB-2 has a 1 11/16" nut width. What is the neck profile like?

11. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I haven't checked out the necks on a ton of basses, but I'm pretty sure mine is pretty close to a P neck. It is 1-11/16" wide at the nut.

You can probably find one around $300-500 if you're patient. I've seen a few priced pretty high on EvilBay, but I didn't pay attention to whether they had bids or not. I got mine for $300.00 cuz it's ulgieeeee... Someone along the way did a shoddy paint job on it. Fortunately they left the neck alone!!

[​IMG]

12. Thanks Wademeister63. There's an SB-2 on eBay right now actually. I kind of dig the color of your bass, though I guess it's hard to get a sense of the quality of the paint job from a Web pic. The headstock looks great. I love when guitar and bass finishes start to check/craze like that.