Early G&L L1000 Bass (L1K) Bridge Screws?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by spike42, May 10, 2018.

1. spike42

spike42 Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2007
    I've got an old G&L L1K (circa '81) that I've been having problems intonating. I need
    to bring the saddles back some more, but the screws are binding and the saddles won't
    go any further. This is long before the springs are fully compressed. I took it apart and
    found that three of the intonation screws are bent:

DSC01041.jpg

By rotating the one good screw through all four saddles, I have proven that the problem
    is definitely with the screws and not the (original/zinc) saddles themselves - thankfully.

I can only guess that some former owner tried to force them without first unlocking the
    saddle-lock bridge, but no matter how we got here, I need to replace these screws. I
    checked all the local hardware places, but due to the size of the head they had nothing.
    I looked on ebay and all I see are entire bridge assemblies.

Any ideas or sources for vintage G&L parts? The new/recent bridge assemblies appear
    that they could be used as replacement, but I sure hate to spend that kinda money over
    a couple of bent screws!

2. WannaJazz

WannaJazz Supporting Member

May 7, 2010
  3. spike42

Oct 21, 2007
    Excellent, thanks for the info - gives me something to work with! I'll update this post with search results.

4. spike42

Oct 21, 2007
    By way of update - even with knowing the proper name of the screw, I was unable to obtain locally. I did find some
    online, but typically in quantity of 50 or more. However, I hit a hardware store in a different city and scored some
    stainless 8/32 socket head screws that worked perfectly. While not perfectly vintage, I consider it a bit of an upgrade
    anyway; socket head vs phillips. I will save the original/bent screws of course, as part of the bass's history. Meanwhile
    the replacement screws allow for proper intonation, so this great old bass will now get some playing time :}

5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yes, the socket head cap screws are better, in many ways. The metal used is harder, the heads are less likely to strip out, etc.

But for your reference, you can straighten the old screws. After all, if they are soft enough that they could be bent that easily, they can be bent back straight. A small smooth-jaw vise and a small crescent wrench will usually do the trick. Just try not to damage the threads.

spike42 likes this.
  6. spike42

Oct 21, 2007
    Good point, and thanks for the input - I'm all thumbs myself, but I do know a guy who works in a machine shop.
    I will show the old screws to him and see if he can do anything with them before I stash them away.

7. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Check you local auto parts dealers to see where they get screws. Often most cities have a hardware store known to only the industry people, not the masses like home depot and Lowes. IN the South West US there is a hardware store called McFaddendale. They have metric and SAE stuff that the big box stores and music shops and guitar repair stores don't carry.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021