Early Gibson LP studio bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I've seen a lot of them on Ebay, and I was wondering if anyone has tried them in the past. How is it as far as playability, sound, etc? I gotta get going now, so I hope I get a reply when I return :p

P.S. Rush tonight! WOO!
  2. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    I had an early one back in the day. It had two low impedance pick ups with a toggle switch in the normal LP guitar position. The cable that came with it had a converter built right in it so that if you weren't going direct you could use an amp. Being mahogany that thing was a little hefty. I still wish I hadn't let it go.
    Of the short scale Gibsons it had the best sounds. You can hear one on David Bowie's "Station To Station" album. The songs Stay & Thin Young Duke are good examples of it's tone and punch.
    Happy Times,
  3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    And just in case this gets surfed -

I had one in the late 70's that I really butchered, put on an ebony fretless fingerboard with 4 pointed star inlays up the neck (with two stars at the 12th fret position), BadAss bridge (which was too low, so a piece of mahogany had to be added underneath to raise it), brass nut and (worst of all) had the cutaway deepened (to get higher up the neck) and turned florentine (sharp horn, like an ES-175). Yeah, I know. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I sold it in Boston in '82 and would be interested in finding out what happened to it.