Early Jaco Recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Aaron, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I heard about some Jaco recordings from the early '70s. Where can i get any of these? Do i have to be in Florida? I read that he was under the pseudonym of something like Nelson "Jocko" Padron. Does anyone know anything about these albums?
  2. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Jaco appeared as Nelson "Jocko" Padron on a 1974 album called 'Party Down' by Florida-based R&B artist Willie "Little Beaver" Hale.

One pre-1976 Jaco recording that you might be able to find is 'Pastorius/Metheny/Ditmus/Bley' on Paul Bley's Improvising Artists record label.

I recorded a four-part documentary on Jaco that was broadcast on BBC Radio 3 a couple of years ago that included some of his playing with Woodchuck, Tommy Strand and the Upper Hand, and Wayne Cochran & the CC Riders. Great funk/R&B playing - you can really hear how his style developed. None of this music is commercially available.

The big thing that all Jaco fans are waiting for is 'Dixie Highway', a 2-CD set packed full of unreleased Jaco recordings, including his first home demos, his first recorded bass solo, his playing with the bands I mentioned above, and much more. The project has been in the pipeline for years, but it looks as though it will finally be released later this year. Check www.jacopastorius.com for all the info.

You might want to read Bill Milkowski's book 'The Extraordinary and Tragic Life of Jaco Pastorius'.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There's been talk about the release of some early recordings Bob Bobbing made, under the title 'Dixie Highway' - don't know when it's gonna be released.

Oops, David was faster - I shouldn't surf, type and watch TV at the same time :D
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    you almost made me soil myself, david, when you talked about the BBC thing. I was bashing myself in the face going "How could i have missed it!!!"

Is there any recordings for that?!!! I don't know if i could live without them. I figured the next cd i was going to buy was the Improv. Artist cd.

Thanks for all the info.