Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdip, May 10, 2004.

1. sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    I have spent the last couple of weeks looking at the top name Bass manufacturers products planning on buying one of them. Although I don't play that well (my primary instrument is the piano) I like nice instruments.

Today I decided to scrap the idea. the thought of it dropping a grand in value as soon as I opened the package didn't sit too well with me. To that end I have decided to look for a early 70's Fender 4 bolt Jazz, at least I won't lose money on it and I was raised on early R&R and like the sound. What kind of money should I be looking at parting with for a nice example of the genre??????? :bassist: :help:
  2. Probably around 1000$-1500$ for an all original. Maybe more, maybe less. Probably less if there's a modification such as switched pickups (although most keep the original pickup on the side anyways). If you want a collector's piece, go original, but it will cost you more. Want a steady workhorse? Get a modded one. Something as simple as a refinish can kill the resale value and allow you to get a nice bass for a really good price.
  3. 1971 Jbass specs:

* Maple fingerboard with black block markers becomes standard.

Late 1973 Jbass specs:

* 3 bolt neck with micro-tilt replaces 4 bolt system.

1974 Jbass specs:

* Black/white/black pickguard replaces tortoise on Sunburst models.

..........for some reason the 1973 and under are going for even more on Ebay and private dealers, it must be because they are reaching the Vintage point in time.....25 years old. :meh:

You can expect to pay up 1800.00 for anything 1970 to 1973.

I also have a copy of the blue book for 2004 if you wish to know the going prices, PM me!

4. bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    hell yeah girl.
    I personally own a 73 jazz, and she only gets played in the bedroom because I love her so much. Beautiful guitar