Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

early Ken Lawrence - oofa!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Nov 22, 2002.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  2. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Man, that bridge is rad. What a cool looking instrument.

Alex

3. That is definitely an awesome looking instrument. The design is based off a Fleishman bass. Seems that is what Ken did before he got his own body styles, which are great, I might add. I also saw an 8 string triple omega Alembic copy he did. Looked like the real thing.

I saw that bass up on www.bassgear.com . Bunny bass does take great photos and someone is gonna get a great bass.

Geoff

4. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    What an odd tailpeice...

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That's pretty sweet. The solid cocobolo wings would freak me out a bit if I didn't read that it weighs only 10 pounds. Though I'm not sure I believe that? All that hard maple and cocobolo, and it's only 10 pounds? I guess the lack of heavy bridge has something to do with that.

edit: Ah, I see they're hollowed out a bit. :)

6. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    That is beautiful!! The AJ6 they have for sale would be mine if I could sell my soul.:eek:

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Ken is AMAZING. Great guy, great instruments. The 6 string fretless I used to have of his was one of the most memorable basses i've ever played. Just felt right, sounded great. I'd say anything Ken made is worth the cash. Love that bridge! Not too hot on the body shape though...

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I remember when Harry F. first came out with the Jayne Bass body style. Did Ken work with Harry?

9. What I read was that Ken got Harry F's permission to use the design and built a handful of basses with that design. Ken didn't work with Harry so far as I know.

Geoff

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's a nice, distinctive body style. I hooked up with Harry back in the early 80's and bought one of his stick basses. The funny thing is, I don't have it anymore and can't recall where I sold it:D