Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Early/Mid 80's Peavey Foundation Neck...???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silky smoove, May 23, 2005.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've got an early to mid 80's Peavey Foundation 4-string that I picked up a little over a week ago used. It played amazingly well for the first week. Now that I put new strings on it and played it through a gig it seems to have developed a bit of a neck warp on the G string side of the board. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the warp out of it. I left it at my local shop (that I trust very much) to see if they can iron out the problem, but I'm not very optimistic.

Now, it dawned on me that I've got a Warmoth 4-string neck just sitting here that's not being used for anything. I've seen a Foundation with a Moses Graphite neck on it, so that makes me wonder if a Warmoth replacement would fit just the same. Does anybody know how closely this bass will conform to Fender heel specs?

2. You can't use Fender spec necks, like Warmoth's, on the Foundation bodies. I tried to do that, back around 1990, and found out the hard way that the Fender necks place the frets closer to the bridge than the Peavey necks do. The 21st fret on the Warmoth neck, on the overhang, is about where the 20th frets on the Foundation necks are.

Obviously, the reverse is also true- you can't use Foundation necks on Fender bodies.

Also, the neck heels and the pockets aren't the same size. The Fender heels are a bit too wide to fit in the Foundation bodies' pockets.

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the info. I guess its back to the drawing board on this one eh?