early/mids 90s Fender MIM jazz observation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The older MIM fenders are amazing. They have vintage sized frets , and the 'volume, volume, tone' knobs. Keep your eyes out for these. The finish on the neck makes them very stable, and they resonate wonderfully. I think the woods were actually dried properly for these early MIMs. Fretwork is amazing as well.

2. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    what's your opinion on the newer ones?

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    An improvement over some of the slop thats come out. But not the best Ive experienced. And the prices are pretty steep nowadays.

4. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    I have a `99 Deluxe, with the Suhr pups. It`s been my #1 since I bought it.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I remember those. Neat pickups.

6. 96 MIM sounds great to me.

7. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    About when did they start to be not so great? I had a roughly 99/00 MIM jazz bass, and it was kinda cheezy; equal pickup sizes, strat vol/vol/tone knobs, sounded good but not exceptional. Then again, they were selling them for 300 new at the time!

Neck started twisting at the nut a few years later. Irritating.

8. Blues Bass Man

Blues Bass Man

Feb 2, 2010
    I have a '94 MIM Jazz and a '96 MIM Precision. The Precision is a perfect bass and I would put it up against any American Precision from the mid. 90's (installed a Fender Original '62 P-Bass Pickup),and I have a MIA '97 P-Bass. The Jazz on the other hand....not so good. When switching out the pups I had to cut the wood around the bridge pickup cavity for the proper pickup size. The bridge is offset, but I've learned to live with that. The skunk stripe is now working it's way loose. But the big problem has been it's playability and tone....has never quite played or sounded like a good Jazz should.

9. Highfox

Highfox

Mar 10, 2010
    Finland
    I recently purchased a 92 MiM fretless Jazz, it was advertised as a 2002 and thats what I thought I would be getting until I was able to check the s/n...
    I was slightly disappointed at first thinking and reading that it may be of inferior quality to the post 2000 models.. but it seems ok and to of been well crafted and having a slightly older instrument now seems a bonus :)

As I have only had it a short period of time I haven't decided if I want/need to change the stock pickups...
    and here I have a question, the bass has the old type pickup sizes (ie both are the same neck size pu's) and I wondered if I didn't want to do any cavity work would I be losing out on some tone by installing 2 neck pick ups instead of a proper set?
    Could I say stick in a neck Dimarzio area J and also an Ultra J neck?
    I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to any modding, all the instruments I have had before have remained stock.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    One of the mods I did on mine was install a brass nut from basspartsresource. I left the nut unglued so It is movable horizontally, and i leave it a little more towards the E string side, so that the string path is more centered.

11. vstring3

vstring3

Oct 30, 2009
    Connecticut
    I had 3 Mexican Fenders in the '90's, two were fretless (one bought in '93 and the other in '94) and a Mexican black P-Bass bought in '92 or '93 (not sure). I currently play a 2005 Mexican P-Bass.

The Mexican Jazz basses were nice, but not remarkable. They were not the best fretless basses I've ever played...soundwise or what have you.

I bought the P-bass replace an '80's Korean Squier Jazz (which I miss and regret selling.) I bought the Mexican P-bass in 92 to escape the shame of owning a Squier (ah, youth.) Well...I despised that P-bass. No setup, shim or string gauge would tame that action. There was a gap in the neck pocket that allowed me to drop a credit card in with wiggle room. It was terribly muddy. I purchased EMG's for it, but I wasn't satisfied with the sound and it was an uncomfortable bass altogether. The experience led me to buy an American Standard Jazz (which I also came to dislike, but not nearly as much as the Mexi-P).

My current P-bass was bought because I was noodling in a music store, with no intention of ever buying another Fender again, and I picked up this red Precision that played so well, fast and without fret buzz, that I could not leave the shop without it. And I couldn't really afford to make the purchase at the time, but decided that having the bass was more important that food.

...so my current Mexican bass renewed my faith in Fender.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021