1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Early Recordings with Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Medeavel Themes

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Space-Man, May 8, 2010.

1. Space-Man

Space-Man

Jan 27, 2009
    Anyone know of any early recordings that use these themes as lyrical concepts in a serious matter?

Black Sabbath had a few song with sci-fi lyrics(Planet Caravan, Electric Funeral, Into the Void, Iron Man) and one actual fantasy song(The Wizard) as early as 1970, Zeppelin were using Tolkieny themes in some songs, Queen used fantasy themes heavily on their second album, Genesis made lots of lyrical references to fantasy/mythology, Thin Lizzy had some songs dealing with Celtic mythology.

As a lyricist I typically don't use these themes very often but they're cool topics to espound upon from time to time.

2. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Uriah Heep would be another one.

3. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    ELP, "Karn Evil 9" on BRAIN SALAD SURGERY

4. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Yes, "Starship Trooper"

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Man, that covers them ALL!

6. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Heh, yup. :D

7. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Ramble On from Zep

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    RE: Karn Evil 9: Let's see... it's got Kings, battles, swords, computers, spaceships-what else?

9. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Ah.. How about Wishbone Ash? (Throw Down the Sword, Warrior, The King Will Come, etc.)

10. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    At least a couple of songs off of King Crimson's IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING.

11. Space-Man

Space-Man

Jan 27, 2009
    Oh yeah, that's a good one.

12. Space-Man

Space-Man

Jan 27, 2009
    Forgot to mention them as well.

13. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    "Astronomy Domine" by Pink Floyd is my favorite space song

14. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Some more groups that had songs on those topics.

Rush
    Zon
    Gentle Giant
    Jethro Tull
    Kansas
    Blue Oyster Cult

15. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Hawkwind.
    Put together a whole live tour about space travellers in suspended animation with help from Michael Moorcock. That's pretty damn Fantasy/Sci-Fi to me...

16. Space-Man

Space-Man

Jan 27, 2009
    I'm familar with Tull, Rush, and BOC's love of these things and I've heard of Gentle Giant, can anyone explain what their sound was like and if their bass player was cool?

17. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    In the past, they were often referred to as Baroque-Rock. Pretty much everyone in the band played multiple instruments, often trading them off when playing live. A lot of poly-rhythms, odd time signatures, Acappella vocals, etc... The best way to enjoy them, is to find some live clips, or one of the DVD's available. They were incredible live!

Ray Shulman was their primary bassist. Though his brother, Derek, the lead singer, sometime covered the bass live when Ray would play another instrument. Ray was also one of the primary composers of their music. Ray was/is an outstanding bassist and musician. One of my favorites. I play a few GG tunes with the guys I play with, and it's always very challenging, regardless of the song. Then again, I'm not very good. lol

I highly recommend checking them out if you're at all into 70's era prog-rock. Heck, I advise checking them out even if you're not. Definitely one of my all-time favorite bands. :)

18. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Gentle Giant is one of my all time favorite bands too. I had the pleasure of seeing them live in 1974 and they were fantastic. Great bass work. Here are some live videos of them from 1974.

19. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    If anybody is into the prog band scene and bands with some of the OP's lyric themes, there is a music festival coming up in Bethlehem, PA called Nearfest on June 18, 19, & 20. The group Three Friends features two original members of Gentle Giant (Gary Green & Malcolm Mortimore)

http://nearfest.com/

Eddie Jobson (U.K., Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull, & more), The Ultimate Zero Project (ENG)
    Steve Hackett (Genesis, GTR, and more) (ENG)
    Three Friends (former members of Gentle Giant) (ENG) http://www.threefriends.info/
    The Enid (ENG)
    Iona (ENG)
    Riverside (POL)
    Forgas Band Phenomena (FRA)
    The Pineapple Thief (ENG)
    Astra (USA)
    Moraine (USA)

20. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Such a shame Marc Bolan has been forgotten. Before all the T.Rex glam stuff. Find some Tyrannosaurus Rex. Just him and Peregrin Took on percussion. Even some early T.Rex. Particularly the Children of Rarn Suite, Ride A White Swan, Woodland Bop, By The Light of A Magical Moon, Beltane Walk, King of The Rumbling Spires, Debora, She Was Born To Be My Unicorn, Child Star, Planet Queen, Cat Black (The Wizard's Hat). There are countless more, but this is the guy who practically made this kind of theme cool. After Beatlemania, the group to have the same effect on young girls was T.Rex. They called it T.Rextacy. Anyway, check those songs, and more if you can find them. Off the early albums. You'll be able to tell which ones are old by the really long album titles.