1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Early Sabbath sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ljakse, Sep 18, 2008.

1. ljakse

ljakse

Sep 18, 2008
    Hi everyone
    I was wondering what strings would produce closest sound to the one Geezer had on first few Black Sabbath albums. I know he used precision on some live recordings (not sure about the studio).
    I would also like to hear some opinions on what would be the best thickness for C tune that I use with my new sort of "experimental" band? I was thinking about Rotosound Swing 130's, but never used them before. Any idea how would they fit my Fender P-bass?

2. ChorusPedal88

ChorusPedal88

Aug 25, 2007
    Ahh well, Geezer had a few blown speakers on the first album I know that, and I'm not sure if he played though a guitar amp, but to get close to that sound IMO wouldnt be too tricky

Grab a set of Flatwounds (I reccomend Rotosound) and finger right at the end of the neck.

Using a P-Bass (Fender, SX, Lakland etc..) really helps alot too because of the way its built.

3. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Geezer used Rotosound 66 45-105 for the first few black sabbath albums. Now he's using DR Black Beauties with Heaven and Hell. He also played thru a Laney guitar amp with 2 busted speakers. The slightly overdriven, trebly sound was a big part of the sabbath bass. Also, it was true he plucked right at the fretboard.

4. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    I hate Rotosound, but in this case, they should be used!

Also, get yourself a Line 6 Bass Pod Xt and simulate his rig, which is easily done as one of the presets is based on his early setup!!! Do it, you will love it!

5. ljakse

ljakse

Sep 18, 2008
    thanks for replies. yes, i've noticed him playing on fratboard, but when i do so, i get a lot of, i don't know how to call this sound but something that would be closest to describe as "string-meets-wood" sound while slaping, which i don't hear in Geezers sound. could it be that his treble pot is all way down?

fetfet, are all Rotosound 66's round-wound?

kyral210, thanks for tip, but i'd rather not use any simulator. just not my cup of tea :). i'm not tring to imitate his sound, just to get the clue of how it was achieved, then adjust it to mine.

6. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    The 66 series are all roundwound, but rotosound makes any other strings. Geezer used those specific ones. like i said, he also used a Laney guitar amp with blown speakers.

7. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    1. P-bass with FLATWOUND
    2. Tube amp with el34 (Laney, marshall, HIWATT, VB-2 ...)
    3. 4x12 Marshall-style cab(s)
    4. turn up amp for SOME overdrive
    5. Definately pluck up over high frets